Well, my thread title is self-explanatory. Just thought of starting this thread on a lighter vein. Well, often i fall short of words when describing or naming things, vegetables, fruits to help my toddler learn her mother tongue. This is because there are no substitute words in my mother tongue, rather an English word is pronounced in a way that it would look like it is in my mother tongue.

Let me give you an example..tomato..is pronounced as 'toh-may-to' in Bengali , Bengali being my mother tongue. So do you have any such words for which there are no substitute in your mother tongue?

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Well, my thread title is self-explanatory. Just thought of starting this thread on a lighter vein. Well, often i fall short of words when describing or naming things, vegetables, fruits to help my toddler learn her mother tongue. This is because there are no substitute words in my mother tongue, rather an English word is pronounced in a way that it would look like it is in my mother tongue.

Let me give you an example..tomato..is pronounced as 'toh-may-to' in Bengali , Bengali being my mother tongue. So do you have any such words for which there are no substitute in your mother tongue?

We say BYANK for BANK

We say BYANK for BANK

Okay..we don't have a word for Table and chair..funny but true..

We say BYANK for BANK

Okay..we don't have a word for Table and chair..funny but true..[/quote

We have for table. We say Meja. But for chair we say Kurchie.

We say BYANK for BANK

Sounds quite similar to that in Hindi..isn't it.. Mez and Kurshi in Hindi..

We say BYANK for BANK

That way you can see many regional language words joined in to mainstream Hindi and English. Of course with lot of mutilations.

We say BYANK for BANK

That way you can see many regional language words joined in to mainstream Hindi and English. Of course with lot of mutilations.

True..very true...we have loaned words from each other ..in terms of language..Hindi or English..

We say BYANK for BANK

True..very true...we have loaned words from each other ..in terms of language..Hindi or English..

In Tamil Mejai for table and Narkali for chair. Every language has its own specific words for everything. We are very convenient when we say it in our language but for others it will look like funny.

We say BYANK for BANK

In Tamil Mejai for table and Narkali for chair. Every language has its own specific words for everything. We are very convenient when we say it in our language but for others it will look like funny.[/quote

Many of the words from Regional languages do not have equivalent words in English. In such situations we use the English words as they are. with a regional touch.For example we say "Glassu" for Glass

We say BYANK for BANK

In Tamil Mejai for table and Narkali for chair. Every language has its own specific words for everything. We are very convenient when we say it in our language but for others it will look like funny.

I think you have got it wrong! I am not laughing at anybody's regional language. What we are discussing in the thread is that when we don't have a equivalent word in our regional language, we use or loan or borrow a word from English. For example, in Bengali there is no word for Table and Chair, so we use these words as it is.

We say BYANK for BANK

I think you have got it wrong! I am not laughing at anybody's regional language. What we are discussing in the thread is that when we don't have a equivalent word in our regional language, we use or loan or borrow a word from English. For example, in Bengali there is no word for Table and Chair, so we use these words as it is.

This is what we do when there is no equivalent of some English words, in our mother tongue, we use the same English word while we talk or write in our respective mother tongues. But there will be a regional flavor to the English word.
We say "Glassu To Neellu Patra." means "Bring a glass of water."
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.