Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Words like Post Office, Bulb, Pencil.......etc.

I love writing and sharing ideas

Words like Post Office, Bulb, Pencil.......etc.

I think in Bengali there are a lot of words that have been borrowed from English and are used as is.

Here goes some more - Apple, Light, ..

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

There is no equivalent word for Telephone iin Telugu, we use it as such, that is "telephonu."
Yes like............Lamp, Filter, Coffee, Stove

I love writing and sharing ideas

There is no equivalent word for Telephone iin Telugu, we use it as such, that is "telephonu."

It would be the same case in all Indian languages since it is a foreign invention , and the same goes for amny modern day inventions which would have no equivalent word in our mother tongues

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

It would be the same case in all Indian languages since it is a foreign invention , and the same goes for amny modern day inventions which would have no equivalent word in our mother tongues[/quote

This reminds me of a joke. It shows how we add regional touch to those words which do not have equivalents in English.
I was on the road stranded because of a political meeting.
Another person asked me, "What's going on sir"
A Meeting, I said.
The other man said, " Wow !!,
" Meetinga"

It would be the same case in all Indian languages since it is a foreign invention , and the same goes for amny modern day inventions which would have no equivalent word in our mother tongues[/quote

This reminds me of a joke. It shows how we add regional touch to those words which do not have equivalents in English.
A Meeting, I said.
" Meetinga"

Ha.haa..you won't believe Sir, but I was about to say the same thing. Like Hindi is sometimes anglicized, we make English words like one of own by twisting the pronunciation. Like 'shaart' for shirt in our language.

A Meeting, I said.
" Meetinga"

Ha.haa..you won't believe Sir, but I was about to say the same thing. Like Hindi is sometimes anglicized, we make English words like one of own by twisting the pronunciation. Like 'shaart' for shirt in our language.

some people in villages say "Secotry guard" for "security Guard". I am from Rajasthan.

http://www.comparenshop.in

A Meeting, I said.
" Meetinga"

some people in villages say "Secotry guard" for "security Guard". I am from Rajasthan.

For a word like security guard..there is no equivalent term in any of our Indian languages..so we have no choice left but to use it as is.

A Meeting, I said.
" Meetinga"

For a word like security guard..there is no equivalent term in any of our Indian languages..so we have no choice left but to use it as is.

No doubt people are using English words, when an equivalent is not there in their mother tongues. But not without that mandatory regional flavour.
My Bengali friend asked me " Boss Has come "?
Thinking that he was asking me about our Boss, I said, "I don't know".
Then my friend asked "how did you come to the office?"
It was only then i realizes that my friend was asking me about "Bus."
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.