Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
There is no equivalent word for Telephone iin Telugu, we use it as such, that is "telephonu."

It would be the same case in all Indian languages since it is a foreign invention , and the same goes for amny modern day inventions which would have no equivalent word in our mother tongues[/quote

This reminds me of a joke. It shows how we add regional touch to those words which do not have equivalents in English.
I was on the road stranded because of a political meeting.
Another person asked me, "What's going on sir"
A Meeting, I said.
The other man said, " Wow !!,
" Meetinga"

Ha.haa..you won't believe Sir, but I was about to say the same thing. Like Hindi is sometimes anglicized, we make English words like one of own by twisting the pronunciation. Like 'shaart' for shirt in our language.

some people in villages say "Secotry guard" for "security Guard". I am from Rajasthan.

For a word like security guard..there is no equivalent term in any of our Indian languages..so we have no choice left but to use it as is.

No doubt people are using English words, when an equivalent is not there in their mother tongues. But not without that mandatory regional flavour.
My Bengali friend asked me " Boss Has come "?
Thinking that he was asking me about our Boss, I said, "I don't know".
Then my friend asked "how did you come to the office?"
It was only then i realizes that my friend was asking me about "Bus."[/quote

Generally, boss i mean bus pronounced as boss is something an Oriya person would do. Bengalis usually say baas..instead of bus.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

There is no equivalent word for Telephone iin Telugu, we use it as such, that is "telephonu."

It would be the same case in all Indian languages since it is a foreign invention , and the same goes for amny modern day inventions which would have no equivalent word in our mother tongues[/quote

This reminds me of a joke. It shows how we add regional touch to those words which do not have equivalents in English.
A Meeting, I said.
" Meetinga"

Ha.haa..you won't believe Sir, but I was about to say the same thing. Like Hindi is sometimes anglicized, we make English words like one of own by twisting the pronunciation. Like 'shaart' for shirt in our language.

some people in villages say "Secotry guard" for "security Guard". I am from Rajasthan.

For a word like security guard..there is no equivalent term in any of our Indian languages..so we have no choice left but to use it as is.

No doubt people are using English words, when an equivalent is not there in their mother tongues. But not without that mandatory regional flavour.

Generally, boss i mean bus pronounced as boss is something an Oriya person would do. Bengalis usually say baas..instead of bus.

May be. But the sounds are similar that lead to confusion.

A Meeting, I said.
" Meetinga"

I know..a hint of regionalism while using English can e confusing...and humorous too. I had a teacher who used to say 'doll face' instead of dull face..imagine my plight..trying to decipher what is doll face?

A Meeting, I said.
" Meetinga"

I know..a hint of regionalism while using English can e confusing...and humorous too. I had a teacher who used to say 'doll face' instead of dull face..imagine my plight..trying to decipher what is doll face?

Yes, I can imagine. My friend used to say, when a phone call comes, " Pour Pour Pour Pour.". His phone number was 4444.
Well, my thread title is self-explanatory. Just thought of starting this thread on a lighter vein. Well, often i fall short of words when describing or naming things, vegetables, fruits to help my toddler learn her mother tongue. This is because there are no substitute words in my mother tongue, rather an English word is pronounced in a way that it would look like it is in my mother tongue.

Let me give you an example..tomato..is pronounced as 'toh-may-to' in Bengali , Bengali being my mother tongue. So do you have any such words for which there are no substitute in your mother tongue?
In Odisha, especially in coastal Odisha which is known as Puri boli, here tomato is called as 'bilati baiganna' means foreign brinjal.

http://mohanmekap.com/

Wherever there are equivalent words in mother tongue for an English word, people are so much used to the English words, that those words cannot be understood.
Well, my thread title is self-explanatory. Just thought of starting this thread on a lighter vein. Well, often i fall short of words when describing or naming things, vegetables, fruits to help my toddler learn her mother tongue. This is because there are no substitute words in my mother tongue, rather an English word is pronounced in a way that it would look like it is in my mother tongue.

Let me give you an example..tomato..is pronounced as 'toh-may-to' in Bengali , Bengali being my mother tongue. So do you have any such words for which there are no substitute in your mother tongue?
In Odisha, especially in coastal Odisha which is known as Puri boli, here tomato is called as 'bilati baiganna' means foreign brinjal.

Yeah..I know this ..since I am born and brought up in Orissa. Somehow can't give up the habit of writing Orissa.

Thank you said by: mohan manohar

A Meeting, I said.
" Meetinga"

Yes, I can imagine. My friend used to say, when a phone call comes, " Pour Pour Pour Pour.". His phone number was 4444.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ...I remember, in our school, our geography sir used to pronounce Champagne as CHAMP-PANG-NEY and JUICE as JEW-ICE ..

A Meeting, I said.
" Meetinga"

Words like Post Office, Bulb, Pencil.......etc.

I think in Bengali there are a lot of words that have been borrowed from English and are used as is.

Here goes some more - Apple, Light, ..

I think there is no sound like V in Bengali. So all V's are pronounced as bhi, thus Vijay becomes Bhijoy - as one of my Bengali bosses used to address me.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.