Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
The term "bazaar" which has its origin in the Middle eastern countries is widely used by Bengalis. We pronounce it as "baajaar" or market place.

I love writing and sharing ideas

Words like Post Office, Bulb, Pencil.......etc.

I think in Bengali there are a lot of words that have been borrowed from English and are used as is.

Here goes some more - Apple, Light, ..

I think there is no sound like V in Bengali. So all V's are pronounced as bhi, thus Vijay becomes Bhijoy - as one of my Bengali bosses used to address me.

Yes, correct there is no V... A 'V' is invariably replaced with a 'B' or 'BHI'..this holds true for the some and may not be true for all.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

I think in Bengali there are a lot of words that have been borrowed from English and are used as is.

I think there is no sound like V in Bengali. So all V's are pronounced as bhi, thus Vijay becomes Bhijoy - as one of my Bengali bosses used to address me.

Yes, correct there is no V... A 'V' is invariably replaced with a 'B' or 'BHI'..this holds true for the some and may not be true for all.

I agree. All Bengalis will not come under this rule. I know many Bengalis will say Vivekananda instead of Bibhekanando.
Thank you said by: Mousumi Ghosh

I agree. All Bengalis will not come under this rule. I know many Bengalis will say Vivekananda instead of Bibhekanando.

I fall in the Vivekanand category... anytime!

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Thank you said by: rambabu

I fall in the Vivekanand category... anytime!

That's because of your exposure to different cultures in different regions and above all your own discretion that it's all about regional language impact that surfaces up in pronouncing the words. Kudos to you.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.