Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I am totally confused with the Padma awards...apparently Padmashree is different and Padma Bhushan is a different category etc etc..how different I am not sure ! However, this year it was given to Sharmila Tagore ( who deserves it since she has contributed a lot ) and Sreedevi ( who has only done glamor roles from what I see) and Rahul dravid...

http://www.indianexpress.com/picture-gallery/sridevi-sharmila-tagore-rahul-dravid-receive-padma-awards/2445-1.html

They have opened eyes now they had forgotten about dravid years now they had given.

He was even forgotten during his playing days. Many Indian cricket fans will remember that he was not selected in the team for a pretty long time. Had he been there, he could have been able to score more runs.

He is a talented cricketer in our cricket team. This is very bad to forget this person.

But I am happy that he got his due. And yes, he is also doing well in the IPL. He got the MOM in the last match as well.
What confuses me more about the padma awards is the selection criteria, which really does not speak much about the merits or in some cases, lack of it, in the winners. It is more about 'he who lobbies the strongest, wins it'.

I agree ! There are so many yesteryears actors who have not been recognised at all, but they keep awarding only the well known popular faces just like it happens in politics and elsewhere in our country !

Exactly, like Aishwarya Bacchan receiving the award, I wonder on what merit??/ :blink:

Really ? did she receive an award ? when ? and for what? compared to her Sreedevi is much more deserving...

She received it in 2009 itself! Bacchan family now owns the single distinction of being the only family in India with three Padma awardees, the senior couple and the DIL!

See the news link here
http://www.apunkachoice.com/scoop/bollywood/aishwarya-rai-and-akshay-kumar-get-padma-shri.html

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar
Rahul Dravid and Tagore received Padma Bhushan award
Shridevi received Padma Shri Award

All are deserving these Awards.

I had already talked about Sharmila Tagore and Sridevi. Bu as far as Rahul Dravid is concerned, he is my favorite and certainly deserved what he has earned. Great man with great talent! Congrats!

He should have got it long back, but still its better late than never! He is truly The Wall of the Indian team!

What confuses me more about the padma awards is the selection criteria, which really does not speak much about the merits or in some cases, lack of it, in the winners. It is more about 'he who lobbies the strongest, wins it'.

I agree ! There are so many yesteryears actors who have not been recognised at all, but they keep awarding only the well known popular faces just like it happens in politics and elsewhere in our country !

Exactly, like Aishwarya Bacchan receiving the award, I wonder on what merit??/ :blink:

Really ? did she receive an award ? when ? and for what? compared to her Sreedevi is much more deserving...

She received it in 2009 itself! Bacchan family now owns the single distinction of being the only family in India with three Padma awardees, the senior couple and the DIL!

See the news link here
http://www.apunkachoice.com/scoop/bollywood/aishwarya-rai-and-akshay-kumar-get-padma-shri.html

I can understand Amitabh and Jaya getting the awards since both of them deserve it...but Aishwariya has done nothing really spectacular except look beautiful...she is not even an accomplished actress! Goes to show how biased the selection committee is !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

See the news link here

I can understand Amitabh and Jaya getting the awards since both of them deserve it...but Aishwariya has done nothing really spectacular except look beautiful...she is not even an accomplished actress! Goes to show how biased the selection committee is !

The only merit that she has is probably winning the Miss World Crown, but I still cannot get over the fact that she won it during the time when India opened itself to free economy and there was significant increase in such title winners, so I really feel that Indians were awarded such titles internationally in lieu of such economic entry in India, Apart from this she has acted (???) in the the Pink Panther movie, I think that is the only thing that may have earned her the Padma!! :blink:

Thank you said by: usha manohar

See the news link here

The only merit that she has is probably winning the Miss World Crown, but I still cannot get over the fact that she won it during the time when India opened itself to free economy and there was significant increase in such title winners, so I really feel that Indians were awarded such titles internationally in lieu of such economic entry in India, Apart from this she has acted (???) in the the Pink Panther movie, I think that is the only thing that may have earned her the Padma!! :blink:

That and a couple of other English films - so even a foot in or a bit role in a western film ensures that the actors have a lot of clout in their own country ! what a state of affairs !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Sharmila and Sreedevi both are popular and talented. So they deserve this aaward.

www.mobileeduhut.blogspot.in
Of late we see only the high profile and known faces getting awards and that too mainly from the Hindi film Industry ! There are innumerable artistes from regional films who are definitely better than the hindi film stars, having contributed a lot in that particular region.This clearly shows partiality and favoritism besides other issues ...

Of late we see only the high profile and known faces getting awards and that too mainly from the Hindi film Industry ! There are innumerable artistes from regional films who are definitely better than the hindi film stars, having contributed a lot in that particular region.This clearly shows partiality and favoritism besides other issues ...

Yes, now that you mentioned this, I see hardly any deserving candidates winning the awards apart from Bollywood biggies. LIke I said earlier, the harder you lobby, the better the chances of the winner, and I daresay that the economics involved behind the Bollywood movies is also at work here!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.