Geeta Dutt was a beautiful lady with a sensational voice . She was born today iin the year 1930....She was born in Faridpur a place which is now in Bangladesh and was one of the leading playback singers of the hindi film industry during the fifties and sixties...She met, fell in love and married the great film maker Guru Dutt .
Personally, I am a great fan of her voice and songs and am saddened by the tragic life she lead. This eventually made her an alcoholic and was the root cause of her early demise. However there are no two opinions about the fact that Geeta was an extremely talented singer who will be remembered along with other greats like Lata Mangeshkar,Asha Bhosle, Mohammad Rafi ,Kishore Kumar,Manna dey and others..

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 10889]}

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
What a range of her singing prowess!!!
From Babuji Dheere chalna to
Waqt ne kriya kya hasee sitam.
She remains immortal through her melodies.
Thank you said by: usha manohar

Absolutely ! She had a breezy voice that in my opinion was most suitable for Geeta Bali,Shyma and Shakeela and Meena Kumari...
Geeta Bali and Geeta dutt was a great combination... chanda chandni mein jab chamke,tadbeer se bigdi huyi, jaate ho to jaao par jaoge kahan are some of the songs....

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Absolutely ! She had a breezy voice that in my opinion was most suitable for Geeta Bali,Shyma and Shakeela and Meena Kumari...
Geeta Bali and Geeta dutt was a great combination... chanda chandni mein jab chamke,tadbeer se bigdi huyi, jaate ho to jaao par jaoge kahan are some of the songs....

This reminds me of that famous song pictured on Shyama, Ai Dil Mujhe Batade, composed by inimitable Madan Mohan.

This reminds me of that famous song pictured on Shyama, Ai Dil Mujhe Batade, composed by inimitable Madan Mohan.

Shama has had some great numbers filmed on her...Yeh lo mein hari piya,Gareeb jaan ke,Sun sun sun zalima,Tumse hi meri zindgi...

Shama has had some great numbers filmed on her...Yeh lo mein hari piya,Gareeb jaan ke,Sun sun sun zalima,Tumse hi meri zindgi...

The greatness of good singers like Geeta will never dominate the character on whom their songs are pictured. You see the character comes alive and stands before the listeners. I remember an old duet of Geeta and Hemant from Shart. Na ye chand hogs na Tavares rahenge. Even now it retains its melody.
I would not say I am a great fan of Geeta Dutt but whenever her song comes on the TV I stop to listen to it. Her voice had a magic of its own.
I would not say I am a great fan of Geeta Dutt but whenever her song comes on the TV I stop to listen to it. Her voice had a magic of its own.

If you hear her songs of yesteryears, I'm sure you will become an ardent fan of Geeta Dutt. Yes, you are right, she had a unique voice. And that's one of the reasons she became the darling of cinema music lovers.

Her husky voice was different to that of Lata and Asha... Although she was best suited for club songs she was also extremely good with other sulful songs and duets...
Some of her sad songs are as good or even better than Latas..
Jab tum nahin to chand sitare mein kya karoo
Mera sundar sapna beet gaya
Waqt ne kiya kya haseen sitam
Chand hai wohi wohi gagan wohi chaman...

Her husky voice was different to that of Lata and Asha... Although she was best suited for club songs she was also extremely good with other sulful songs and duets...
Some of her sad songs are as good or even better than Latas..
Jab tum nahin to chand sitare mein kya karoo
Mera sundar sapna beet gaya
Waqt ne kiya kya haseen sitam
Chand hai wohi wohi gagan wohi chaman...
She is versatile, and what a beautiful her voice was, while listening to these songs first I thought all are from lata but it was from Geeta Dutt and it seems melodious and perhaps she acted in some films. The portrait of her in this forum is beautiful.

http://mohanmekap.com/

Ushaji You have posted very beautiful photo of Geeta Dutt. Thanks for making us remind birthday of one of the legendary singers of Bollywood.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.