We see so many movies in the course of our life but only a few leave a lasting impression on us. I thought of starting this thread with the idea of getting to know about good quality , watchable films that you have seen and can recommend to others ... Language no bar !

Please add at least a few sentences about the film , its cast, strong points and also why you liked it...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Thank you for starting an interesting topic.

I love to watch movies that are realistic and close to the life.

For the reasons i mentioned, I'm an avid viewer of Shyam Benegal in Hindi like Ankur, Bhumika Manthan to name a few

In Telugu I love to see K. Viswanath's Movies like Sagara Sangamam, Sankarabharanam, Swati Kiranam to name a few.

rambabu wrote:

Thank you for starting an interesting topic.

I love to watch movies that are realistic and close to the life.

For the reasons i mentioned, I'm an avid viewer of Shyam Benegal in Hindi like Ankur, Bhumika Manthan to name a few

In Telugu I love to see K. Viswanath's Movies like Sagara Sangamam, Sankarabharanam, Swati Kiranam to name a few.

Rambabu , Please write about one movie at a time and also why you like it and recommend it....

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: rambabu

Ankur (Seedling) exposes the hypocrisies prevailing in the society especially in the dominating class. Shyam Benegal the director tells the story in a simple way like a mother tells her child. No monotonous and oft repeated gimmicks like Zoom ins melting of the scenes which we see in the present day movies. Expertly directed and beautifully acted by Shabana.

Those who want to see movies with realistic touch close to life must see this movie.

There are so many movies that I have seen and really liked and would recommend to others. But since it is one at a time, I would like to recommend a quite old Marathi movie called Sinhasan which means a throne. It is a political drama directed by Dr. Jabbar Patel and based on a novel by Arun Sadhu of the same name. The cast included great stalwarts like NIlu Phule, Dr. Shriram Lagu, Mohan Agashe and Nana Patekar and Satish Dubhashi.

The plot of the movie is based around an honest journalist played by Nilu Phule who stumbles across telephone tappings related to powerful Mumbai politicians and trade unions etc. It is all about the game of dirty politics played between the greedy who do anything and everything to remain in power. A realistic portrayal of how politics is played and how innocent people are sacrificed in the blink of an eye with no remorse whatsover.

The movie was a hit with its lovely musical score, a very strong story and dialogues and a great cast. Furthermore, even though the movie was released in 1979, the way politics is played today is exactly the way it was back then. Only the technology has changed and colour is added. I think you will find it on youtube with subtitles. It is worth watching at least once and if you cannot find with subtitles, you will understand it even in Marathi.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

First of all I like the movie Dhanwan starring Rajesh Khanna, Rina Royand Rakesh Roshan, It shows how money cannot be answer to everything, money cannot buy your love, money cannot buy you eyes and so on, excellent movie and I would recommend fellow members to see it from what ever source a real eye opener, when rich Rajesh Khanna after accident lost both of his eyes and doctor told him to collect eyes within seven days otherwise he would be blinded for rest of life, for first six days he was confident that he would spend any sum of money to acquire eyes but on last day he begins to realise money is not solution for everything, it is Lord which solves everything and rest one could watch movie, definitely a boring movie but the story line and the acting part of Rajesh Khanna brilliant. 

http://mohanmekap.com/

Thank you said by: usha manohar

I like Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham, Veer Zaara and My Name is Khan, to name a few. Also Taare Zameen Par is also a very good film.

Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham is a tale of a joint family and 2 sons where one son is adopted(SRK) and he is distanced due to some reason and the other own son Hrithik goes abroad to get him back. It is a good family movie and emotion filled one.

Veer Zaara is a story of 2 lovers, one from India and other from Pakistan and how they spend life without each other for a long time due to circumstances and then finally meet at an old age. The songs and music are one of the best. The true love and the concept of India and Pakistan is good to watch.

My Name is Khan is a revelation in terms that it speaks out that a Muslim should not be seen as a terrorist always and discretion and judgement should be taken and it is very vividly and strongly potrayed in the movie.

Taare Zameen Par is a story of a child where he is suffering from Dyslexia and his growth under Aamir who understands his difficulties.

Life is like a boat in a sea, there is a lot to learn, so never close your mind to your limited experiences!

Thank you said by: usha manohar

I am going retro....I love all films made by Bimal Roy and my most favorite is Sujata which starred one of my favorite leading ladies of yesteryears Nutan with Sunil Dutt.The other prominent actors were Shashikala, Sulochana,Lalita Pawar and Tarun Bose.

The story is that of a low caste baby named Sujata ( Nutan) brought by a Brahmin family.They have a daughter Rama ( Shashikala) who is totally unaffected by the caste differences and treats Sujata as her own sister.But the mother played by Sulochana is unsure as to how to treat Sujata, since she keeps getting negative criticism from other relatives and friends. Sunil Dutt a high caste Brahim Lawyer supposed to marry Rama, falls in love with the simple and sweet Sujata and this brings in a rift within the family.

A beautifully made film that is a must watch for Nutan's acting and the superlative music by SD Burman, this is an all time favorite film of mine ..

usha manohar wrote:

I am going retro....I love all films made by Bimal Roy and my most favorite is Sujata which starred one of my favorite leading ladies of yesteryears Nutan with Sunil Dutt.The other prominent actors were Shashikala, Sulochana,Lalita Pawar and Tarun Bose.

The story is that of a low caste baby named Sujata ( Nutan) brought by a Brahmin family.They have a bubbly daughter Rama ( Shashikala) who is totally unaffected by the caste differences and treats Sujata as her own sister whereas Sujata herself is aware that she is not an equal in the household . Mr Chaudhury her adopted father showers her with love and affection, but the mother played by Sulochana is unsure as to how to treat Sujata, since she keeps getting negative criticism from other relatives and friends. Sunil Dutt a high caste Brahim Lawyer supposed to marry Rama, falls in love with the simple and sweet Sujata and this brings in a rift within the family.

A beautifully made film that is a must watch for Nutan's acting and the superlative music by SD Burman, this is an all time favorite film of mine ..

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

Aamir Khan is well known for his perfectionism. 'Lagaan' which literally mean Tax (in the form of grains) is a story of ordinary people set in a small village 'Champaner' in Central India during the British rule in 1893. The tale narrates the determination of the villagers to fight against injustice and opposition.

There is no rain in the village since a year. The villagers who depend on rain for farming are unable to pay the lagaan to the ruler Captain Russel. On top of that they are asked to pay dugna lagaan (two taxes). Captain Russell gives an alternative to the villagers that if they defeat the British in a game of cricket, they will be exempted from tax for three consecutive years but if they loose they will have to pay three times more lagaan. It becomes a life or death situation for the villagers.

Aamir plays the central character Bhuvan and Gracy singh, a rank new comer portrays the role of Gauri, Bhuvan's sweet heart. 40 British actors have played the role of Englishmen and officers.

The highlight of the movie is cricket match that was filmed in a gripping manner. The entire movie especially cricket match takes the spectator literally to the scene of action.

The movie was directed by Asutosh Gowarikar.

Lagan is one of my favorite movies. I recommend this movie to the members to see it. One can see in YouTube.

I like the English movie 'Face off'. One of master pieces, John Travolta's beautiful acting, as FBI agent to catch the criminal goes for face transplantation, he assumes the face of ruthless terrorists but it back fires on him. the same criminal impersonate FBI agent, what an movie, espeically the dialogue sequences, every dialogue in this film relates with philosophy of life, it is recommended to see the movie with subtitles of English to understand the depth of dialogue in this film, well acted. 

http://mohanmekap.com/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.