Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Both Lagaan and Faceoff are excellent films...

Aamir Khan has made quality films and they are all watchable and as for John Travolta, he has gone on to become one of the most talented actors in Hollywood. I have been watching his films from Saturday night fever  when he was a gawky youngster unsure of himself and later he went through a bad patch , but he was able to resurrect himself ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: mohan manohar
usha manohar wrote:

Both Lagaan and Faceoff are excellent films...

Aamir Khan has made quality films and they are all watchable and as for John Travolta, he has gone on to become one of the most talented actors in Hollywood. I have been watching his films from Saturday night fever  when he was a gawky youngster unsure of himself and later he went through a bad patch , but he was able to resurrect himself ..

Face/off is one of my favorites too. John Travolta really did a great job on that film after a long hiatus and proved himself as good as he did in those dancing flicks of his!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: mohan manohar
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

There are so many movies that I have seen and really liked and would recommend to others. But since it is one at a time, I would like to recommend a quite old Marathi movie called Sinhasan which means a throne. It is a political drama directed by Dr. Jabbar Patel and based on a novel by Arun Sadhu of the same name. The cast included great stalwarts like NIlu Phule, Dr. Shriram Lagu, Mohan Agashe and Nana Patekar and Satish Dubhashi.

The plot of the movie is based around an honest journalist played by Nilu Phule who stumbles across telephone tappings related to powerful Mumbai politicians and trade unions etc. It is all about the game of dirty politics played between the greedy who do anything and everything to remain in power. A realistic portrayal of how politics is played and how innocent people are sacrificed in the blink of an eye with no remorse whatsover.

The movie was a hit with its lovely musical score, a very strong story and dialogues and a great cast. Furthermore, even though the movie was released in 1979, the way politics is played today is exactly the way it was back then. Only the technology has changed and colour is added. I think you will find it on youtube with subtitles. It is worth watching at least once and if you cannot find with subtitles, you will understand it even in Marathi.

Kalyani , I too have watched this film a few years ago on DD when they used to show regional films once a week with sub titles and they normally showed a very good selection of regional films...I agree that it was an excellent film, worth watching.I have seen a couple of other Marathi films which were as good, one was called Silence if I am not mistaken ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

There are so many movies that I have seen and really liked and would recommend to others. But since it is one at a time, I would like to recommend a quite old Marathi movie called Sinhasan which means a throne. It is a political drama directed by Dr. Jabbar Patel and based on a novel by Arun Sadhu of the same name. The cast included great stalwarts like NIlu Phule, Dr. Shriram Lagu, Mohan Agashe and Nana Patekar and Satish Dubhashi.

The plot of the movie is based around an honest journalist played by Nilu Phule who stumbles across telephone tappings related to powerful Mumbai politicians and trade unions etc. It is all about the game of dirty politics played between the greedy who do anything and everything to remain in power. A realistic portrayal of how politics is played and how innocent people are sacrificed in the blink of an eye with no remorse whatsover.

The movie was a hit with its lovely musical score, a very strong story and dialogues and a great cast. Furthermore, even though the movie was released in 1979, the way politics is played today is exactly the way it was back then. Only the technology has changed and colour is added. I think you will find it on youtube with subtitles. It is worth watching at least once and if you cannot find with subtitles, you will understand it even in Marathi.

Kalyani , I too have watched this film a few years ago on DD when they used to show regional films once a week with sub titles and they normally showed a very good selection of regional films...I agree that it was an excellent film, worth watching.I have seen a couple of other Marathi films which were as good, one was called Silence if I am not mistaken ..

Yes Usha., It is The Silence, although I have not watched it myself. Sinhasan was a very good movie and till date, it is considered an iconic movie in Marathi cinema/.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar

Dilip Kumar as we all know is probably the best actor the hindi film industry ever had...He has played varied roles in all his films as a leading man.

However in Amar he plays a negative role. I watched the movie quite recently and was impressed by it.The film has a star cast of Dilip Kumar, Madhubala and Nimmi...

Dilip Kumar is engaged to be married to rich girl Madhubala but is attracted to poor tribal girl Nimmi...I wont go into more dtails since it gives away the suspense completely. The songs, Dilip's portrayal of a complex character and of course Madhubala's mesmerising beauty  add to make this film a cut above the rest. It is definitely a film worth watching ....Some of the scenes linger in your memory like the interaction between Madhubala and Nimmi and that of Madhubala and a guilt ridden Dilip Kumar.

The film has a great musical score by Naushad with Rafis 'Insaf ka mandir hai yeh bhagwan ka ghar hai , Lata's Janewale se mulaqat na and others 

In the recent past I have seen a few sports based movies like Bhaag Milkha Bhaag and Chak De India. I feel that Bollywood industry turned a new leaf with such sport based movies.

In the Movie Chak De India, when Shahrukh Khan is accused of Match fixing in a hockey world cup final. returns back after seven years. He returns to coach a hopeless Women hockey team. The rest of the movie deals with his journey to glory of the National team..

Sharukh   as the coach to an underrated  women’s Hockey team toils and succeeds in turning a mediocre women’s Hockey team in to a National Team.

A disgraced hockey player coaches the women's national team to win back his honor and dignity.

Directed by Shimit Amin, written by Jaideep Sahni. Sharukh Khan plays the lead role.

Despite its shortcomings, it makes the audience stick to the edges of their seats.

The underlying Moral is “Never Lose Heart. Persevere andwin.”

I recommend this movie for all such viewers who love to see Sports based movies with a difference.

Do ankhein barah hath, a warden sets himself goal to rectify path of six murderes, this is an old movie but the message shows how criminal could be brought to correct path when they are treated like fellow citizens, the evergreen song, a malik tere bande ham is the definitely one of the master pieces, and this is perhaps the only bollywood film which inspires holly woods. Brilliant message about reformation in policing. I would definitely hope for such ideal and sacrifice driven warden to create more people from criminals. Similar one is Dushman, where Rajesh Khanna inadvertently murdered a person who happens to be sole bread earner of that family, and the court ordered him to sever those family and the story moves on from dushman he became friend to that family. Excellent message with some good songs. The song dushman..... doston se bhi pyara hai///// signifies the story line of this movie, from hate mongers to becomes lovable in that village. A treat to watch indeed. Both movies in their own way, opposes existing criminal systems and try hard to show how such reformation could change the lives of many. Thought for food. 

http://mohanmekap.com/

mohan manohar wrote:

Do ankhein barah hath, a warden sets himself goal to rectify path of six murderes, this is an old movie but the message shows how criminal could be brought to correct path when they are treated like fellow citizens, the evergreen song, a malik tere bande ham is the definitely one of the master pieces, and this is perhaps the only bollywood film which inspires holly woods. Brilliant message about reformation in policing. I would definitely hope for such ideal and sacrifice driven warden to create more people from criminals. Similar one is Dushman, where Rajesh Khanna inadvertently murdered a person who happens to be sole bread earner of that family, and the court ordered him to sever those family and the story moves on from dushman he became friend to that family. Excellent message with some good songs. The song dushman..... doston se bhi pyara hai///// signifies the story line of this movie, from hate mongers to becomes lovable in that village. A treat to watch indeed. Both movies in their own way, opposes existing criminal systems and try hard to show how such reformation could change the lives of many. Though for food. 

Do Aankhen Baraa Haath is a trend setting film by the veteran producer and director V. Shanta ram. He produced many such trend setting and movies made on social evils like  Dowry .Teen Batti Char Raasta , Dahej which will be remembered for generations on.

mohan manohar wrote:

Do ankhein barah hath, a warden sets himself goal to rectify path of six murderes, this is an old movie but the message shows how criminal could be brought to correct path when they are treated like fellow citizens, the evergreen song, a malik tere bande ham is the definitely one of the master pieces, and this is perhaps the only bollywood film which inspires holly woods. Brilliant message about reformation in policing. I would definitely hope for such ideal and sacrifice driven warden to create more people from criminals. Similar one is Dushman, where Rajesh Khanna inadvertently murdered a person who happens to be sole bread earner of that family, and the court ordered him to sever those family and the story moves on from dushman he became friend to that family. Excellent message with some good songs. The song dushman..... doston se bhi pyara hai///// signifies the story line of this movie, from hate mongers to becomes lovable in that village. A treat to watch indeed. Both movies in their own way, opposes existing criminal systems and try hard to show how such reformation could change the lives of many. Thought for food.

I have seen both the films and V Shantaram's Do ankhein baarah haath is any day a better movie than Dushman. Shantaram has made some very good films, they were artistic and had good music mostly by Vasant Desai or C Ramchandra...I like his Navrang and Sehra too ...The only problem was Sandhya who was his leading lady in all these films. She was wooden and a miserable actress, but the credit goes to Shantaram that inspite of that he could make his movies so qualitative and popular 

Thank you said by: mohan manohar, Kalyani Nandurkar

A Benchmark for Movie making- Sholay

A 1975 Movie Directed by Ramesh Sippy, written by Salim –Javed and Music composed by Rahul Dev Burman.

The story line in brief is A Police officer’s family was massacred by a dreaded and notorious  bandit. To take a befitting revenge, the police officer hires the services of two outlaws to capture the bandit alive.

Though many opine Dharmendra and Amitabh Bachchan who portrayed the roles of small time criminals employed by the Thakur ( Sanjeev Kumar) were the main roles of the movie, I rate Amjad Khan who has portrayed the role of Gabbar Singh, the dreaded Bandit as the central role of the Movie.

it was Amjad’s maiden appearance and stole the hearts of the entire nation with his famous dialogues

“ Kitne Aadmi The..”

“ Jo dargaya Soch Woh Margaya. “

Amjad not only created waves in the movie world, he has earned the name of “ Most beloved Bad man”.

The other prominent cast includes Hema malini, A.K Hangal, Iftekar etc.

There is not much to say about the storyline, one has to note how Ramesh Sippy and the music composer RD made an ordinary storyline into a Masterpiece of all-time.

RD's Mehbooba Mahbooba

Koi Haseena Jab Rooth Jayegi to...

Yeh Dosti are still ringing in the ears of the public.

To put it simple, "Shoklay " is inimitable

For the reasons said above I recommend Sholay to be seen by one and all either in the cinema hall or in YouTube. But personally I feel that it should be seen in a cinema hall.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.