One wonders whether women during the previous Independence days were made of stronger stuff , or we're the times different then ? When I went through this article I realized that regardless of religion women became part of the India film industry and made a mark . ..the article gives detailed information about these marvelous ladies of yesteryears 

https://www.thebetterindia.com/52356/women-in-movies-and-directors-producers-writers-bollywood/

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

That's was a very interesting article. Didn't know that many of the women had made a name for themselves in film industry even before the independence. Most of the name from pre independence periods are unfamiliar to me except for Devika Rani. Apart from her works, she was also quite famous for her beauty

Thank you said by: usha manohar

I am.told that there were quite a few enterprising women in the regional films too who were courageous enough to go against the tide , thereby showing the way for other women.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Very informative and interesting article. Most of our knowledge related to the film industry extends only to the actors of the film, directors and sometimes, producers but does not go beyond that. It is very nice to know that women have been working behind the scenes in the Indian cinema ever since the beginning of the industry. Really empowering!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thanks for sharing this article. It is not only informative but gives present day women a strength to dream big. Those great ladies of the early bollywood era excelled at a time when women were usually suppressed and now when society is gradually changing the ladies can think of doing what they love the most.    

shampasaid

Shampa Sadhya wrote:

Thanks for sharing this article. It is not only informative but gives present day women a strength to dream big. Those great ladies of the early bollywood era excelled at a time when women were usually suppressed and now when society is gradually changing the ladies can think of doing what they love the most.    

True, there is far more freedom now than it was during those times .So all the more reason to appreciate their achievements , not just in films but in other fields too.Another point to note is that most of the top leading ladies of that era were Muslims which shows that in some ways the old generation was more progressive in thought.

Thank you said by: Shampa Sadhya

Despite of changing time, we still have a handful of women behind cameras. It is still male dominant. Most of the female choose to be in front of the camera.

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Music Directors are mostly males in Bollywood. It was good to see Sneha Kanwalkar of Gangs of Wasseypur. Refreshing tunes and a very good work. I hardly know of any female music composer who gave popular numbers after Usha Khanna.

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Nadira a foreigner was renowned as a stunt queen in pre independence film era.

The stunt actress was fearless Nadia , whose real name was Mary Ann Evans , an Australian. Nadira who acted in films like Aan and Shree 420 was also a Jew from either Israel or Iraq .

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
Arunima Singh wrote:

Music Directors are mostly males in Bollywood. It was good to see Sneha Kanwalkar of Gangs of Wasseypur. Refreshing tunes and a very good work. I hardly know of any female music composer who gave popular numbers after Usha Khanna.

Neither do I know of any female music composers whereas there are quite a few film makers among women who have been making quality films

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.