Very recently I was witness to a sad fact of life in a upper middle class restaurant  in Chennai city.  This restaurant keeps on rising the prices of each single vegetarian item that is served and, though customers crib about the high cost, still flock to this restaurant as it enjoys a big brand and is known for being "safe" in terms of not causing any health problem to any customer, as the quality of raw materials is very good.

A family of five were seated just next to my table, and I was the only one when the father expressed his idea that the wife and the three kids stop with whatever they had eaten and better walk out.  However, neither the wife or the children would listen to him, and insisted on ordering fresh fruit juices.  It is a known fact that such things are the costliest in this restaurant.  The father suggested that they could have it in another shop.

The mother said no, and the children followed in a chorus.  Left with no choice, the father walked out, went to the nearest ATM, took out some money, and reluctantly agreed to pay for what his wife and children wanted.  Between the four of them, it would have costed at least another four hundred and fifty rupees. 

The father tried his best to hide his emotions, but it was clear that he was not happy at all.  Conspicuous consumption of this kind is very dangerous and should be avoided.  Fresh juices of a fairly good quantity are available in the neighboring shop suggested by the father. 

All family members should learn to live with less, or totally avoid putting the bread winner to such huge trouble.  Will it not be a good thing to have some self-discipline in this regard?

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I'm of the opinion,Health comes first. As you said, the Restaurant serves Healthy stuff,  I support the family members. If money is lost ,it can be earned. If Health is lost,every thing is lost.

i personally feel its not good to spend unnecessary amount on such things. Who knows this restaurant always serves healthy food? I would prefer to hv homemade food in such things. In 400rs we can have nice meal at home for 3-4days..

I agree with you, this kind of consumerism is very much on the rise and I think, that even if the father could afford to pay for such costly food and drinks, is it good for the kids' physical health as well as mental makeup? This is happening too much everywhere around us, where kids feel and even working mothers do, that spending a nice amount of money on films and hotels each weekend is their basic right. Not good for discipline and moral fabric of the family!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

rambabu wrote:

I'm of the opinion,Health comes first. As you said, the Restaurant serves Healthy stuff,  I support the family members. If money is lost ,it can be earned. If Health is lost,every thing is lost.

No one disagree with it that health is first. But if some in charging only for name than it is not fair. There may be more restaurant which is serving healthy food.

anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:

No one disagree with it that health is first. But if some in charging only for name than it is not fair. There may be more restaurant which is serving healthy food.

Yes. If there are other restaurants,,its good. The idea is to give utmost importance to Health.

anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Anil the question is not about whether the restaurants serve healthy food or not, but more of a trend of spending money on food and drinks at places which charge multiple times than the actual cost of that dish or drink.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

rambabu wrote:
anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Yes. If there are other restaurants,,its good. The idea is to give utmost importance to Health.

If some one is serious about health than they must be eat at their home not at restaurant. food which we prepared and cooked at our home is thousand time better than of restaurant.

anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:
anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:

If some one is serious about health than they must be eat at their home not at restaurant. food which we prepared and cooked at our home is thousand time better than of restaurant.

Exactly. I, personally do not eat food prepared outside. Even while traveling, I bring my home made food.

Eating in restaurant cannot be a daily affair.  So this is okay for those who can afford. Personally, I eat only at home.  Alternatively, I may eat something from street stalls. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:

Eating in restaurant cannot be a daily affair.  So this is okay for those who can afford. Personally, I eat only at home.  Alternatively, I may eat something from street stalls. 

It's immaterial where you eat and what you eat as long as the food you eat as long as the food is healthy.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.