Gout is the disorder occurs due to deposition of uric acid in the joints due to high level of uric acid in the blood leading to severe pain in the joints especially in big toe.
Normally uric acid is present in the blood in small amount. Body converts the food called purines which are the proteins into the uric acid. The food high in purines causes increase in uric acid levels. Normally kidneys eliminate the uric acid from the body but when this level increases abnormally kidneys cannot eliminate it and hence it gets accumulated in the joints. However intake of alcohol with the purine diet worsens the problem more.
Common in men as compared to women.
CAUSES AND RISK FACTORS
People who suffer from gout are either due to excess of uric acid in the blood or the kidneys are not efficient to eliminate the uric acid from the body.
- Intake of alcohol
- High purine diet – Meat, fish, yeast, mushrooms, cauliflower, spinach, dried beans, peas.
- Low dairy products- Less intake of milk products.
- Hereditary – It runs in the families.
- Crash or strict diet in order to lose weight.
- Kidney diseases – kidney stones.
- Certain medications like anti-hypertensive, diuretics.
- Chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
- Gout mainly affects the big toe. Attack of acute gout can occur any time and can be triggered due to excess alcohol consumption, high purine food, injury or any other illness.
- Severe pain occur in one or more joint and it increases when the joint is touched or moved. Inflammation of joint is seen with reddish skin over joint, swelling present and on touch inflamed joint feels warm.
- High grade fever with feeling of malaise and weakness.
- Initially the pain is felt in only one joint for few days and then the symptom may disappear but may reoccur if the disease progresses.
- Due to repeated attack the joint may become deformed.
- Kidney stones are more common in people of Gout.
- Blood test confirms high uric acid level.
- Fluid examination – The fluid from the joint is taken and examined.
- X-ray of inflamed joint shows the joint damage and deposit of uric acid crystals.
- If pain is severe the pain killer is required to stop the acute episode of gout.
- Continue the medications prescribed by the physician.
- Cold fomentation or ice packs are useful in case of inflammation or pain.
- Avoid excess of purine food and alcohol.
- Avoid starvation and crash dieting, eat enough food to keep yourself healthy.
- Immobilize the joints.
- Drink plenty of fluids to remove excess of uric acid.
- Eat more of low fat dairy products, green leafy vegetables, rice, cereals, fruits, eggs.
- It is believed that drinking cherry juice helps to reduce uric acid level.
- Exercise- If the person has not gout symptoms can start the mild exercise to reduce the obesity.
- Homeopathy – It is the good approach. Homeopathic medicines will help to reduce the symptoms and other medicines too. There are any homeopathic medicines which are effective in Gout. One of them is Colchicum.
Like it on Facebook, +1 on Google, Tweet it or share this article on other bookmarking websites.