Spice up your Life with Healthy Herbs and Spices (Part 2)
This article is in continuation to my first article on Health Benefits of Spices and Herbs.
Turmeric is a spice which is mostly grown in India and is exported to most of the countries. It's a must use spice in all Indian kitchens. Health Benefits of turmeric are listed below.
- Turmeric is a powerful anti-oxidant that fights the cancer causing free radicals. Curcumin, which is the main component of turmeric helps in preventing various cancers such as prostate, colon and skin cancer.
- Due to its anti inflammatory properties, turmeric gives relief from pains of arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Turmeric is also a very powerful antiseptic due to which it heals cuts, bruises and wounds easily. Putting some turmeric powder on the wound stops the bleeding and also disinfects the same.
- Applying a paste of turmeric powder and milk brings a glow on the face.
- It also detoxifies the liver.
Cumin or Jeera as it is called in Hindi, is also a very common Indian spice. Roasted cumin, when added to dishes, specially the buttermilk, gives it a very aromatic flavor. Find below some of the health benefits of cumin.
- Cumin is a rich source of iron, hence, adding a teaspoon of cumin everyday in your diet can help cure anemia. It also helps women during their delayed menstrual cycles. As there is a huge blood loss during the menstrual cycles, it helps women maintaining the blood level.
- Cumin is very good for lactating women as it helps secrete more blood due to the presence of Thymol in it.
- Cumin also helps overcome the problems of indigestion, stomach ache and inflated stomach.
- Due to the presence of Vitamin C, cumin also builds up our immunity.
Curry leaves are aromatic leaves mostly used in South Indian and SriLankan cuisines. It has lot of medicinal properties and various health benefits.
- Curry leaves are good for eyes and even prevent cataract.
- Applying oil of curry leaves on hairs make them healthy and also prevents pre-mature graying of hairs.
- Chewing few curry leaves everyday also helps in weight loss.
- Applying curry leaves extract on an insect bite helps relieve from the irritation and pain.
- Curry leaves also help cure diabetes by balancing the sugar level in the blood.
Cloves are one of the most expensive spices and also the best source of anti-oxidants. From thousands of years, they are being used as a medicinal herb. Various health benefits of cloves are listed below.
- Clove oil helps you instantly get a relief from toothache. Clove oil is also added to various dental products such as mouthwash and toothpastes. Clove mouthwash helps you get rid of the bad breath.
- Putting 2 drops of clove oil in the ears relieves you from the earaches.
- Chewing a clove in the morning can help you overcome morning sickness and hence is good for pregnant women.
- Clove also purifies the blood, improves the metabolism, controls the blood sugar levels and also boosts the immune system.
- Doing gargles with warm clove water helps get rid of sore throat.
- Applying some clove oil on the head during headache, helps relieve from the pain and stress.
- Clove oil is also a natural mosquito repellant.
Basil is a holy plant found in most of the Indian homes. It is considered to be holy and is worshipped in India. Basil has lot of medicinal uses listed below.
- Basil leaves help cure common cold, cough and fever.
- Water boiled with basil leaves cure sore throat.
- Juice of basil leaves and honey, when taken regularly helps cure a kidney stone.
- Chewing few basil leaves daily in the morning, boosts the immunity.
- Applying basil juice on the affected area can also cure ringworm.
Like it on Facebook, +1 on Google, Tweet it or share this article on other bookmarking websites.