How to make different varieties of Idli
1. Rava Idli
- Rava sooji - 2 cups
- Ghee - 1/2 cup
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Green chillies - 3 to 4
- Ginger - little
- Cashewnut seeds - 10 to 15
- Sour curd - 1 cup
- Salt - 2 tsp
- Curry leaves
1. Cut ginger and green chillies to very small pieces
2. Fry the rava in 1/4 cup of ghee till it becomes slightly brown
3. Take 2 tsp ghee and add mustard seeds
4. When mustard seeds sputters out,add green chillies and ginger and fry
5. Break the cashewnut seeds to small pieces and fry in 3 tsp of ghee.
6. Mix this with curd and add 1 tsp of salt,curry leaves and let it soak for 15 minutes.
7. Keep the mixture in idli plates in pressure cooker for 10 to 15 minutes.(Don't put weight for cooker)
8. Serve the hot idlis with idly chilli powder/tomato chutney/sambar.
Note : If you keep some fried rava in refrigerator,you can quickly make this
2. Vermicelli / Semiya Idli
Follow the same procedure above. Instead of 2 cups take 2 1/2 cups of vermicelli.
3. Parboiled Rice Idli
Idli flour has to be grinded one day before making idlis.For eg. if you want to make idly tomorrow morning soak rice and dhal in afternoon and
grind it evening.
- Boiled rice - 2 1/2 cups
- Urad dhal ( Full ) - 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds - A pinch
- Salt - 3 tsp
1. Wash the boiled rice 2 to 3 times and soak it in water.
2. Wash urad dhal 2 to 3 times,add fenugreek seeds and soak it in water.
3. Soak both rice and dhal for minimum 3 hours.
4. After three hours again wash it with water.
5. First grind the urad dhal in a grinder.Add water little by little.Don't add it in single stretch.Grind it till bubble comes.
6. Then take that from the grinder and keep in a vessel and put rice.
7.Grind the rice it becomes a paste ( Don't make it very nice. It should be like rava sooja ) and put this in the same vessel.
8. Add salt to the mixture and mix it well with your hands.
9. Flour will usually fall over the vessel the next day. So it is always better to keep the flour up to half of the capacity of the vessel.
Note : Fenugreek seeds are added to make the idlis soft.
4. Raw Rice Idli
Soaking and grinding are same as for boiled rice .Fenugreek seeds are not needed as the raw rice idlis will be soft as such.
The ratio is 2 cups of rice and 1 cup of dhal.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this article on other bookmarking websites.