If some in our family is materialistic, then how can we avoid them?? One cannot go away from him and at the same time cannot bear such mentality. How should one react???
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
But what is wrong if someone is materialistic anyways? Being one is not bad unless he makes efforts to earn for the same. If he is dependent on others and spending too much probably can make a difference.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Sir can you please tell the exact meaning of materialistic??
I think that materialistic means some one who is giving importance to money and not about people who are around??
I think that materialistic means some one who is giving importance to money and not about people who are around??

Please do not write two posts in a row. If you have to add something, please edit your previous post.
Please write full reference while starting a thread to avoid confusion. Being materialistic is a big and wide subject. Thanks.
Now if you think your relative is mean and cares for money only, simply ask him to stay away and please himself. simple.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Materialism can be understood in contrast with spiritualism. A materialist is concerned more with physical pleasures whereas a spiritualist is interested in worshiping god and satisfying his soul.

But usually, some one who is very selfish and runs after his own comforts, by neglecting others is called materialist. May be you are using 'materialist' in sense of being 'very selfish and self centered'.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Materialism is there in everyone, only the level or degree is different. An individual is free to pursue any path he or she wants and if someone is not happy with it, you simply have nothing to do with that person or if that is not possible have a frank talk and get his or her point of view before drawing any conclusions..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

If some in our family is materialistic, then how can we avoid them?? One cannot go away from him and at the same time cannot bear such mentality. How should one react???

I don't think Materialism' is such an abhorring trait in a person. If he is an insider and wastes others money in pursuance of his materialism, have a dialogue. If he spends his own money for his materialistic pleasure, sorry, none can help.
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
Ok.... I would like to discuss about one of my friend who made me to think about people being materialistic.

(Its just an example of the person whom I feel is materialistic)

My Friend have a kid who is one and half year old. Yesterday that boy broke a mud pot which is being used to grow a money plant. That plant and the pot was since many years in their house. But that boy dont know about that right!!! so he pulled it and the pot broke down. One of the family member started scolding and abusing that small boy for the mistake he has done and stopped talking to that boy, even though that boy was going to him, he was not responding...

It was just a pot which costs not more than 20 rs. But the boy who started crying for his scoldings!!!!! the feelings of the boy when that person was not responding to him..... What about all these.

Is that pot more worthy than that small boy??? We can put that money plant in a new pot........ isn't :( ???
Ok.... I would like to discuss about one of my friend who made me to think about people being materialistic.

(Its just an example of the person whom I feel is materialistic)

My Friend have a kid who is one and half year old. Yesterday that boy broke a mud pot which is being used to grow a money plant. That plant and the pot was since many years in their house. But that boy dont know about that right!!! so he pulled it and the pot broke down. One of the family member started scolding and abusing that small boy for the mistake he has done and stopped talking to that boy, even though that boy was going to him, he was not responding...

It was just a pot which costs not more than 20 rs. But the boy who started crying for his scoldings!!!!! the feelings of the boy when that person was not responding to him..... What about all these.

Is that pot more worthy than that small boy??? We can put that money plant in a new pot........ isn't :( ???

Yes. so, you are using materialist in the sense that one cares about money and things more than persons. Now you wish to ask how to avoid such person. There is no problem in avoiding if he is not in your family. But if he is unavoidable, you can assert that money is not more important than person especially small children. Often small children do not know what money means. One small child got my phone set and he set many tunes. Within five minutes, there were charges of Rs. 100/- or so for those tunes. Child's father got angry with that but I told him not to bother about this. Rs. 100/- is nothing when contrasted with child's pleasure. I should have actually locked the phone before giving to the child.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: sreevani
Ya thats what my feeling too....That small boy dont know what is right and what is wrong. It is all the elders who have teach them. If they behave in such a manner then what will that boy learn from them?????
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.