What are advantages and disadvantages of smart cards?
Advantages of Smart Cards
- Larger memory.
- High levels of security
- Reduced fraud
- Organized information
- Upper management information
- Information Security
- Ease of use without need for connections online or via telephone
- User comfort
- Represent liquidity
- Through the Internet, smart card users can buy and pay for computer network
- Ensuring economic operations, 100% effective theft-proof.
- Falling costs for operators and users.
- Specific standards ISO 7810, 7811, 9992, 10536.
- Multiservice smart cards.
- Administration and control over cash payments.
Disadvantages of smart cards
- A more powerful virus.
- Discomfort to retrieve information from a stolen card.
- For its size can be easily misled.
- The card must be recharged.
- Increased cost of production.
- Dependence of electrical energy for use.
- Vulnerable to fluids.
- Bank fees associated with credit card.
- We need a smart card reader.
Most Current Services
Today smart cards are proving to be used in the following services:
- Mobile Phone Cards. Approximately 3.3% of the actual cards. With a forecast for 2000 of 76 million cards. Allows the subscriber registration and password.
- Health Cards. While it now accounts for 5.4% of cards (46 million approx.) Is expected to see short term increased their number by 800% for 2003. May contain identifying information apart from a history or information on chronic diseases or allergies.
- Wallet banking. Currently about 65 million cards. Growth is expected in the short run close to 550%. The chip contains information about the monetary balance of the card in terms of their use (in appropriate establishments) and its cargo at ATMs. While the trend is growing in terms of their use is not believed to move completely to the conventional credit card but to complement it.
- Phone Cards. In this sector, where smart cards have increased usage. about 665 million cards and with an estimated growth of 100% until 2000. The chip contains information about the outstanding balance of use in public telephones ready.
- Other services among which use common services in universities and pay TV cards. In several Spanish universities have launched projects based on this technology. Each student has an identification card that allows you access to all university services (photocopies, library) and is also a credit card and electronic purse, Also find services for security identification, criminal records, services On-line, transportation, national identification, local, military, access control and presence.
Smart cards with microprocessor has the following advantages:
- They have a cost per transaction is less than the conventional magnetic cards. This is including the costs of the card, the necessary infrastructure and elements to handle transactions.
- They offer a performance about 20 times higher than traditional magnetic card. This advantage is explained by the multiple configurations that can be, allowing use in various applications.
- Enable businesses in mobile communications environments, in environments Prepaid and new communications environment. In these environments cannot access traditional card.
- Improvements in security and operation can reduce the risks and costs of the user.
Internal Controls of Smart Cards
There is no 100% secure system, but the smart card is theoretically providing a higher degree of safety.
The smart card is a very secure mechanism for storing financial information or transaction, the smart card is a safe place to store information such as private keys, account number, password, or valuable personal information, this ability is due to:
- Password Safe (PINs).
- Secondary security key.
- Redundant safety system.
- Digital Signatures.
- High security physical access to: facilities, laboratories, control, computer rooms.
- Through biometrics, fingerprint and retina.
Control of information on human resources KU-CLOCK
Lets gather, manage and perform calculations with all the data you have on your employees, is a strategic tool for cost control.
It is designed to give immediate and intuitive access to secure, detailed and useful information for each of its employees or places divisions, sections or by post.
Intelligent Presence Control (ICC)
Consolidation in the field of human resources and corporate culture, concepts such as human capital and knowledge management and phenomena such as telecommuting, flexible hiring and global competition are changing the vision of the personnel department.
The ICC help human resource managers to "drive" the change to the traditional functions with a certain operational focus for the day to day, incorporate ICC
- Absenteeism Routines: The replacement plan that allows for the company does not stop.
- Process integration routines and people: Knowing the intellectual capacities of staff can link them with the plans and business objectives by optimizing the information, the possibility of working equipment, shielding the company of strong competition and ensuring knowledge transfer balanced and strengthened market orientation.
- Reporting: The CPI distributes reports, statistics and graphs for each of the routines or functions that the system is endowed.
- Centralization and communications: The ICC work on LAN and WAN and Windows NT by extending the control of the presence of delegations or their tele-working system.
- Security through Smart Cards: Personal authentication using smart cards fraud in signing banished. The copy function (Backup), ensures the safekeeping of the data.
Physical Access Controls
Control of opening doors and time, record by digital photograph and fingerprint access.
Access control: This is the most obvious and most neglected that such access to the management station of the network or the server room, on the other hand is very important to have a password system that is the only way to authenticate and identify users when they access the computer system.
Personal Computer Control
Protecting access to PC, PC lock when you remove the card and unlock by the user fingerprint protection.
Restrict our access to the computer by inserting the smart card, without it we can access the computer. If you insert a card does not validate the computer may freeze and the same would happen if a card reader.
Computer control applications
Helps protect the information and use of enterprise software, once inside the application each card allows access to given data. Meets almost 100% of the more stringent requirement of security.
It takes a manager that also allows us to make statistical studies and temporality that is desired, the operator is projected under requirements of the company or its security directors to give even more potential to the solution.
Cruise Control on the Internet and computer access control
This is a program developed for the management of internet cafes, cyber cafes where virtual or use navigation software, are subject to recovery or time.
The system uses security based on tallies smart technology. When the user insert the card into the reader built into the computer, you have a limited time the card is regulated by controlling the use of the computer, performing a lock or unlock the computer.
Due to the advanced technology that is available in the world, it is necessary for this constantly evolving and enjoying the benefits that this offers us in any of the services where applicable and who has the need for handling information in a timely, quickly and without limits or delays in paperwork reaching them, it becomes necessary general knowledge of smart card technology by the community for its widespread use.
Like it on Facebook, +1 on Google, Tweet it or share this article on other bookmarking websites.