How to prevent pollution?
The water we use for ourselves, plants and animals should be free of germs and poisonous substances. In the wells of villages the water can be purified by dissolving a small piece of alum. At home, the best way is to boil and filter the drinking water. This should always be followed when there is a danger of getting cholera, dysentery or diarrhea.
In villages, water is mostly got from wells. Water in wells gets easily polluted. We must take care of that by the following ways:
1) In order to prevent polluted water to get into a well the ground should be made to slope away from the mouth of the well.
2) The area around the well should be clean. Toilets should be made far away from the well.
3) The well should be deep enough to avoid of ground water.
4) The well should be lined with stones or bricks to prevent of water.
5) A wall should be constructed around the mouth of the well. This does not allow polluted surface water to get into the well.
6) The top of the well must be covered to prevent any rubbish from falling into the well.
7) The well should be cleaned regularly.
8) Water from the well should be pumped out. Avoid using a rope and a bucket.
We must save water. You may not be facing any water shortage but have you ever thought of the water problem faced by millions of others. Many people have to travel a long distance to get a pot of water.
Availability of plenty of water is no reason to waste it carelessly. We have to share water with both plants and animals; they have as much claim to it as we do. We must save water.
The water that we use for washing, bathing or cooking produces lot of waste water. In some villages there is proper cemented drainage system to dispose waste water. The water gets collected into a soak pit. The waste water can also be drained into kitchen gardens and can be used for growing vegetables.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this article on other bookmarking websites.