Our prominent scientists of yester years
Our prominent scientists
In the ancient and medieval periods some prominent scientists were born in India. They made immense contribution to the development of science in the country and brought laurels to their motherland. Some of our ancient scientists are mentioned below:-
- Aryabhatta: Aryabhatta was an astronomer and mathematician. He adorned the court of Chandragupta Vikramadhitya. He was credited with the invention algebra. It was who first revealed the rotation of the earth and the causes for the occurrence of solar and lunar eclipses. He wrote two books – Suryasiddanta and Aryabhatteeyam. India’s first satellite Aryabhatta’ is named after him.
- Bhaskara: Bhaskar he was an astronomer. India’s second satellite for earth observation, Bhaskara is named after him.
- Bhaskaracharya II: Bhaskaracharya II was a mathematician as astronomer of 12 century A.D. he was the author of Siddhartha Shiromani. He was first to state that anything divided by zero is equal to infinity. He invented Calculus long before other did.
- Brahmagupta: Brahmagupta was a mathematician. He was first to treat Zero as number. He was the author of Brahma Siddhantha. He announced the theory of the gravitation of the earth.
- Charaka: Charaka was a physician. He adorned the court of Kanishka and authored Charaka samhita. His writing is invaluable in the study of Hindu medicine.
- Dhanvantari: Dhanvantari was a physician of the 5 century A.D. he adorned the court of Chandragupta Vikramaditya.
- Nagarjuna: Nagarjuna was philosopher and chemist. He adorned the court of Kanishka. In his Madhyamikasutra, he enunciated the theory of reactive and anticipated Einstein by a number of centuries. He is described as Indian Einstein.
- Susruta: Susruta was a surgeon, and father of plastic surgery. He devised an artificial nose, diagnosed cataract and described hernia and medical value of garlic. He wrote a medical treatise entitled Susrta samhita.
- Varahamihira: Varahamihira was an astronomer, mathematician and philosopher of the 5 century A.D. he adorned the court of Chandragupta Vikramaditya. He wrote a book entitled Brihatsamhita which was a treatise on geography, astronomy and botany. He wrote other books like Panchasiddhantika, Brihatjnatika and Laghujataka.
- Vagbhatt: Vagbhatt was a physician of Gupta’s times. He wrote a medicinal treatise Ashtangasangraha in which he described human anatomy.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this article on other bookmarking websites.