Depression– Treat yourself with the right food habit

Depression is a disorder that affects the state of mind of a person. It reflects on the feelings, thoughts, behavior and the total health of an individual. These may also be accompanied by hopelessness, lack of interest and very low energy level.

Once affected, it usually hinders the victim from performing his daily tasks and distracts from the normal life. Although there are a number of medications available to treat depression, it is wise to help yourself with natural remedies so that you are safe from side effects.

The first and simplest step one can take to bring down depression is through the diet. Read on to know how to eat the right food to help the condition.

4 simple steps to eat right and help depression victims

Stick on to healthy diet

An ideal diet for treating depression could be the diet that is known to be healthy for the body. Try to include plenty of fruits and vegetables along with your normal intake of whole grains and whole food. Low-fat dairy products and lean meats should be preferred if you are a non-vegetarian. These foods are capable of keeping the mind and the mood of an individual stable.

Avoid caffeine and added sugar in your diet

Added sugar in food badly results in the fluctuation of blood sugar level causing mood swings. Therefore, it is suggested to avoid it if depression is diagnosed. Also, eliminate caffeine from the diet as it builds the feeling of anxiety and nervousness. Try this for a couple of days and look for the difference.

Do not skip meals

For any reason, do not skip your meals as it can develop tiredness that may affect both your body as well as mind. Eat proper meals thrice a day at a regular time. This will help to keep your blood sugar level stable thereby preventing mood swings.

Supplement your diet with necessary nutrients

If you are not sure of getting a balanced diet, add supplements. Studies show that Omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin B12 and folate are good to help fight depression. Deficiency of any of these may pose a threat to cause depression. Fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, etc. are a good source of Omega-3 fatty acid. It is also found in flaxseeds, walnuts, soybeans and canola oil.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
There is no doubt about it that wrong food habit can cause so many ailments including depression.Thanks Neetu!
Oh!It is new to me that improper food diet can lead to depression.Thanks for sharing the information,Dr.Neetu. :) :)
Thanks for the information on treating a common and important problem..
Foods to avoid

1) Sugar: It can leave you depressed and tired after the initial energy boost. Sugar has always been hard to cut out of my diet but I've been getting better. I need to eventually limit myself to low-sugar juice and cereal, since those have been my weak points recently.

2) White-flour products: According to the book, these products lack nutritional value. I already get whole-wheat bread but pizza is another story, I suppose. Same with crackers, rolls and bagels. I need to convince myself to eat more Wheat Thins, since there is a line of 100% whole grain Wheat Thins (and Fig Newtons).

3) Alcohol: This is known to be a depressant and can cause sleep problems, according to the book. No problem, since I'm underage. Besides, alcohol contains empty calories.

4) Caffeine: Anything with caffeine should be limited, especially coffee and soda (which is also under the sugar section). Coffee isn't a problem since I hate the taste. I usually don't drink soda with caffeine, so the only problem would be chocolate and sugar in general.

5) Hydrogenated fats: According to the book, these are found in margarine, potato chips, crackers, cookies, fast food, etc. They have "high concentrations of trans-fatty acids" and can "cause serious disease." I definitely should be more aware of this.

6) Chemical food additives: Some examples are BHA, BHT, nitrites, monosodium glutamate and nitrates. These can be found in artificial sweeteners, artificial preservatives and foods with artificial colors and artificial flavorings. This will definitely be hard to avoid completely.

7) Fluoride: This incudes water, toothpaste and vitamins. Shocking, considering this is a popular ingredient in toothpaste and probably recommended by dentists everywhere.

8) Chloride: This can be found in water and is toxic. According to the book, a carbon filter can remove chlorine from tap water.
Yes, avoiding sugar and coffee is always good.Thanks for sharing,Dr.Neetu. :)
Food habits also cause depression ??It is wonderful information.

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.