Whenever the 'Nehru-Gandhi' family dictated the choice of candidates for the office of presidency in India,the country was robbed of a chance of a distinguished presidency. Our first president Dr.Rajendra Prasad stood very tall. He was so independent yet knew the parameters of powers of a president in India. But that did not stop him warning Pandit Nehru about his policy towards China which was one of appeasement. And his stand was vindicated! He incurred the wrath of Nehru and he was denied the second term! Even in the last presidential elections, Sonia Gandhi's choice proved that it was not the best one for the country. As a result India has seen the undistinguished term of another president. Prof. APJ Abul Kalam who lent such a charm to this office was passed over. This time too such attempts are on. I think Mamata Banerjee and Mulayam Singh Yadav have done the right thing by challenging Sonia Gandhi's choice! What do think?
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Whenever the 'Nehru-Gandhi' family dictated the choice of candidates for the office of presidency in India,the country was robbed of a chance of a distinguished presidency. Our first president Dr.Rajendra Prasad stood very tall. He was so independent yet knew the parameters of powers of a president in India. But that did not stop him warning Pandit Nehru about his policy towards China which was one of appeasement. And his stand was vindicated! He incurred the wrath of Nehru and he was denied the second term! Even in the last presidential elections, Sonia Gandhi's choice proved that it was not the best one for the country. As a result India has seen the undistinguished term of another president. Prof. APJ Abul Kalam who lent such a charm to this office was passed over. This time too such attempts are on. I think Mamata Banerjee and Mulayam Singh Yadav have done the right thing by challenging Sonia Gandhi's choice! What do think?

I agree with that ! however, I am not too sure about both Mamamta and Mulayam as credible people, they are bound to look after their interest.Pranab Mukherji is not a bad choice at all since he is relatively clean and committed.But then it is all in Sonia Gandhis hands, rightly or wrongly the Nehru/Gandhi family has played a major role in Indian politics , making it more or less an autocratic system..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I agree with that ! however, I am not too sure about both Mamamta and Mulayam as credible people, they are bound to look after their interest.Pranab Mukherji is not a bad choice at all since he is relatively clean and committed.But then it is all in Sonia Gandhis hands, rightly or wrongly the Nehru/Gandhi family has played a major role in Indian politics , making it more or less an autocratic system..

I don't know much about Mulayam Yadav's credibility but no question should ever be raised about Mamata Banerjee. In her more than 25 years' political even her worst enemies have not any questions about her probity in public life. As for Pronab Mukherjee he is not a grass-root leader and owes his political to only loyalty of a sychophantic kind to this family. His shameful role during the emergency endearing himself to Sanjay Gandhi are all well-documented in Shah Commission's report which I came to know through an article written by the distinguished historian - Ramchandra Guha!
I agree with Mulayam Singh and Mamata Banerjee challenging sonia Gandhi's choice. But i also do not understand how the names of Manmohan Singh and Som Nath Chatterjee are suggested. Kalam is okay. Manomohan Singh is P.M. and his selection for President post will create P.M. post vacant and choice of alternate P.M. by itself may cause disturbing circumstances. Som Nath Chatterjee is expelled from CPI(M) and proposing his name serves no purpose other than annoying the left.

Ultimately, President is to be elected by majority in electoral college. There should be maximum consensus. Kalam may be best choice.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I don't know much about Mulayam Yadav's credibility but no question should ever be raised about Mamata Banerjee. In her more than 25 years' political even her worst enemies have not any questions about her probity in public life. As for Pronab Mukherjee he is not a grass-root leader and owes his political to only loyalty of a sychophantic kind to this family. His shameful role during the emergency endearing himself to Sanjay Gandhi are all well-documented in Shah Commission's report which I came to know through an article written by the distinguished historian - Ramchandra Guha!

Mamata Banerji is not corrupt and has had a great following in Bengal, but she is erratic , manipulative and of late showing autocratic tendencies which is not good for a politician.They should realise that they are answerable for all their actions..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Rajani K
Yes @usha has stated it well about mamta banerji
I too think its not possible for Manmohan singh or Somnath Chatterjee.
The only best option is Kalam..
There should be a pragmatic approach to selection of candidate. The dominance of Congress in UPA can hardly be overstated. consequently, Somia Gandhi has an upper hand whether one likes or not. Sonia placed two names namely- Pranab Mukherjee and Hamid Ansari. In all fairness, others should choose one of these. If they could convince sonia gandhi about some other name, there would be no issue. But surprisingly, there was rejection of both names proposed by Sonia Gandhi and very funny and bizarre suggestion proposing the incumbent Prime Minister Shri Manmohan Singh was forwarded. They even unilaterally and haughtily declare Kalam as their candidate forgetting their own numbers in electoral college.

Obviously, Congress and other UPA constituents will declare their candidate without consent of Trinmool.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-news/NewDelhi/All-eyes-on-UPA-meet-Pranab-Cong-s-top-choice/Article1-872625.aspx

Yes,things have a taken a bizarre turn with ham-handedness all around! I don't why the wise heads of our political parties have shown themselves up to be just buffoons! Feeling sick to my stomach!
Yes,things have a taken a bizarre turn with ham-handedness all around! I don't why the wise heads of our political parties have shown themselves up to be just buffoons! Feeling sick to my stomach!

This is what happens when personal ego substitutes collective and harmonious decision making.

To my mind the very idea to allow someone to choose President for India is a gross insult to the intelligence of all Indians!
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.