The matter of pride to us Indians is that one of these three women was from Pune, India. Although quite unfortunately, she fail victim to TB and succumbed soon after returning home! Yet she paved way for other women to follow in her foot steps in spite of severe social restrictions and earn degree in higher education. My salutations to all these brave and courageous women!

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 11032]}

The three women pictured in this incredible photograph from 1885 -- Anandibai Joshi of India, Keiko Okami of Japan, and Sabat Islambouli of Syria -- each became the first licensed female doctors in their respective countries. The three were students at the Women’s Medical College of Pennsylvania; one of the only places in the world at the time where women could study medicine.

As Mallika Rao writes in HuffPost, "If the timing doesn't seem quite right, that's understandable. In 1885, women in the U.S. still couldn't vote, nor were they encouraged to learn very much. Popular wisdom decreed that studying was a threat to motherhood." Given this, how did three women from around the world end up studying there to become doctors? The credit, according to Christopher Woolf of PRI's The World, goes to the Quakers who "believed in women’s rights enough to set up the WMCP way back in 1850 in Germantown.”

Woolf added, "It was the first women’s medical college in the world, and immediately began attracting foreign students unable to study medicine in their home countries. First they came from elsewhere in North America and Europe, and then from further afield. Women, like Joshi in India and Keiko Okami in Japan, heard about WMCP, and defied expectations of society and family to travel independently to America to apply, then figure out how to pay for their tuition and board... . Besides the international students, it also produced the nation’s first Native American woman doctor, Susan LeFlesche, while African Americans were often students as well. Some of whom, like Eliza Grier, were former slaves."

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
ThreeTrail blazers who defied the social norms in their respective countries and showed the way to the world that they are equal to men in all respects. My head bows down with respect before these three Trend setters..
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
It's a proud feeling to know that a girl from India after overcoming all the restrictions and taboo could travel all alone and study to become one among first women doctors in the world.
These courageous women chosen an untrodden path not knowing what lies ahead. This shows they are prepared for anything that comes on their way. This very trait put them heads and shoulders above the rest.
It's a proud feeling to know that a girl from India after overcoming all the restrictions and taboo could travel all alone and study to become one among first women doctors in the world.

Very true! And that too at a time when travelling abroad was considered a religious and social taboo, and most such travelers upon their return home were required to commit long and elaborate rituals of 'prayashchit' and penance! But Gopalrao Joshi, Anandibai's husband is equally deserving of credit since he insisted upon educating his wife and encouraged her to travel to America for medical education. Read her full biography at wikipedia to know more about such a brave young lady.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anandi_Gopal_Joshi

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: rambabu, Reena

Very true! And that too at a time when travelling abroad was considered a religious and social taboo, and most such travelers upon their return home were required to commit long and elaborate rituals of 'prayashchit' and penance! But Gopalrao Joshi, Anandibai's husband is equally deserving of credit since he insisted upon educating his wife and encouraged her to travel to America for medical education. Read her full biography at wikipedia to know more about such a brave young lady.

Thank you for the link. It has given me an opportunity to have more insight in to this historical event. Gopal Rao's emancipation is highly commendable.

I used to regularly watch t.v. serial based on life of Anandibai and was greatly impressed by the efforts Mr. Gopalrao Joshi as a husband had put in to make her educate. Efforts's of Gopalrao and struggle of Anandibai paid off very well. It's a matter of pride to all of us and teaches us to never lose hope irrespective of the circumstances that are existing.
Thank you said by: rambabu

I used to regularly watch t.v. serial based on life of Anandibai and was greatly impressed by the efforts Mr. Gopalrao Joshi as a husband had put in to make her educate. Efforts's of Gopalrao and struggle of Anandibai paid off very well. It's a matter of pride to all of us and teaches us to never lose hope irrespective of the circumstances that are existing.

A serial on Anandibai? How i missed it? Anyhow i will not fail to catch up withe serial.

A serial on Anandibai? How i missed it? Anyhow i will not fail to catch up withe serial.

I used to watch it a decade ago. If you are lucky you may find episodes in you tube.

I used to watch it a decade ago. If you are lucky you may find episodes in you tube.

Yes that's a good source. I think i will get it..
Thank you said by: Reena
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.