I had lived for almost four years in Ahmedabad, and found the bus conductors and drivers, very decent and well behaved.  They would really treat all women well, and I had not seen any complaint from any passenger at all.

That was decades ago.  I do not know the present situation.  We often hear of very bad bus drivers and conductors.  Many atrocities against women in buses have happened.

Since many members would have gone to many other cities, kindly enlighten all on the best places where the drivers and conductors are well behaved.  One can happily board buses in these Indian cities.

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

The bus conductors in Hyderabad were very good and well-behaved and would often help women passengers get back the seats reserved for women, and would guide you about various stops when enquired. This was the cases 6 yrs back, not sure what is the case today. I am sure it must have improved. But the worst bus condctors are in Pune, they won't hear you out, won't guide you or tell you which stop you should get down in case you are newbie in the city and will also not support women to get back seats reserved for women in the bus. I also never experienced any kind of stealing in Hyderabad even in jam-packed buses, but in Pune, my purse laden with all my important cards and money was stolen. For me Pune bus service is the worst.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

I have personally had experiences of bus drivers and conductors in Ahmedabad, my aunt lives there so have had a few occasions to do so and they are really helpful and polite. So are the bus drivers and conductors in Hyderabad and Mumbai. Bangalore, I have visited almost 13 years ago and they were also quite helpful back then, no idea now how things stand. As far as my city Pune is concerned, I think the bus staff and autorickshaw drivers would by far, be the rudest of the lot in the country, of course, with a few exceptions!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you Madam. Chennai is no better.  The drivers and conductors are often over worked, and have to deal with unruly students.  Since the city is bursting at its seams, during peak hours, one would have to do all stunts like our Hindi film heroes to get in!!

Worse, the bus routes are often very crowded, though the city has one of the best organized bus transport systems in the country.  May be, the conductors and drivers often ventilate their frustrations.  However, the air-conditioned buses are simply superb and the rich zip around in great comfort.  But once again, we live in a democracy of the rich, for the rich, and of the rich!!

The common man cannot afford such fares so often, and have to live with the bus conductors and drivers of ordinary buses.

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

I agree with you, the reasons are the same in Pune too and probably everywhere else. The buses in Pune are quite old and dilapidated in need of repairs but the poor drivers have to still drive them in such conditions because the authorities don't put money in repairs. On top of that, they have not been paid their salaries for the last 3-4 months because the contractors don't pay out money claiming the buses run in losses, BUT the contractors themselves have taken their payment in full already. They also have to deal with overwhelming crowds daily at all times. All in all, life of these people is too hard.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I found the ones in south and Goa are among the better behaving drivers and conductors compared to other parts of the country.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

I agree with you, the reasons are the same in Pune too and probably everywhere else. The buses in Pune are quite old and dilapidated in need of repairs but the poor drivers have to still drive them in such conditions because the authorities don't put money in repairs. On top of that, they have not been paid their salaries for the last 3-4 months because the contractors don't pay out money claiming the buses run in losses, BUT the contractors themselves have taken their payment in full already. They also have to deal with overwhelming crowds daily at all times. All in all, life of these people is too hard.

True, the condition of the buses plying in most of the routes in Pune are in pitiable conditions, the drivers and conductors don' t behave well. But my experience with auto-dirvers has been good so far, they also help in case you need guidance on directions.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Many years ago the bus conductors of Delhi were very considerate, they only collected half fare from passengers and naturally did not give you a ticket. The conductors of BEST in Mumbai were also very helpful. They wrote behind the ticket the amount of change that was due to you and asked you to collect it from their zonal offices within office hours. The conductors of government buses in Srinagar, J&K were also very helpful, they allowed you to sit in their stationary bus and asked you to board the private bus when it came and drove empty bus after the private bus. Many young passengers do not know that overcrowded buses have conductors as they travel only on the footboards. However I hv found the BEST conductors to be professional and helpful also.

I think the conductors in Coimbatore is well behaving with the people till date. Coimbatore is well famous for the people who give respect for the people around them and welcome other state people with smile. Some conductors are get angry by the way the treated by the passengers.

I can only speak for my own city and I find the conductors and drivers extremely friendly and helpful  and I do agree about Gandhi Nagar and Ahemedabad where I stayed for two weeks last year and found them very helpful and courteous,,,

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I know about Kerala, Coimbatore and Mumbai’s BEST, where the transport systems are good and the conductors and drivers behave very friendly. I believe that in normal cases all of them behave well in most of the cities. It is the behavior of some travellers as well as some unfavourable situations that make them rough and rude.  

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.