Because of the intense heat a town founded in 1915 in Southern Australia has moved underground. Once miners found precious stone Opal in the vicinity the town began facing difficulties because of the mining activity, so they decided to move underground..

http://acidcow.com/pics/20709-underground-town-in-south-australia-33-pics.html

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Really interesting place is Coober Pedy or Underground Town. Even I like to visit such beautiful place where people does not adopt extreme heat. They make their own underground town.

It is truly amazing that they have thought of such a thing , since Australia has extreme weather conditions some times within a couple of days it goes from one extreme to the other !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Coober pedy is a very beautiful and unusual town although people who live there are indeed courageous and a hardy lot for its not easy to lead such a life. I had earlier read about this town in a quite old issue of RD.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

The severe desert climate made a lot of residents move to live underground, in caves. People made their underground homes comfortable. And they appear to have all the amenities of a house that are on the Plains.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Coober pedy is a very beautiful and unusual town although people who live there are indeed courageous and a hardy lot for its not easy to lead such a life. I had earlier read about this town in a quite old issue of RD.

This has been going on since 2010 and now it is complete with people moving in. It is a novel idea no doubt to have an underground town but I feel it is better to move away to a clean and open space rather than stay underground..Australia being a vast country with lots of open unoccupied spaces would certainly accommodate the 2000 odd people anywhere else and they would have a healthier life too...Of course there may have been other considerations which drove them to take this step !

Excessive mining activities especially mining of  Opals made them to take this drastic action of the people in the area. Even if they live underground, they have links with the place for their own livelihood. This is the sole reason for the inhabitants of the Australian place to live in the underground without losing their occupation of mining.

Yes thats true, many of them work there , so they are forced to live there...But in the long run it may not be very healthy for the children since they have no outdoor activity within the area nor for adults for the same reason !

I think over a period, the inhabitants will come up an alternative which ensures their's and their family and community interests.

Goes to  show how humans can adapt to making a livelihood even in harsh climates. Amazing.

A struggle for existence. This is the inherent trait prevalent in the humans.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.