Santhara (also Sallekhana, is the Jain(Jainism) practice of voluntary and systematic fasting to death. High court of Rajasthan said that it is sucide. But Jain community said that it is way of attaining moksha. What is right?

http://www.firstpost.com/india/debating-santhara-the-jain-practise-isnt-suicide-but-indian-laws-dont-see-it-that-way-2408134.html

 

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
  • Re: It is Salvation or Suicide

    by » 6 years ago


    Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
    Editor & Super Moderator
    3.48k 21.9k 176.9k

    Any attempt to kill oneself is suicide.  The Jain ritual is nothing but fast unto death.This is definitely suicide. The others in the community are guilty of  encoutaging suicide.  


    G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
    http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/


  • Re: It is Salvation or Suicide

    by » 6 years ago


    anil
    MAESTRO MATE
    220 6.73k 39.2k
    Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:

    Any attempt to kill oneself is suicide.  The Jain ritual is nothing but fast unto death.This is definitely suicide. The others in the community are guilty of  encoutaging suicide.

    Yes you are right, but one lady done santhara after declaring it suicide by the court, in Bikaner. 

     


  • Re: It is Salvation or Suicide

    by » 6 years ago


    Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
    Editor & Super Moderator
    3.48k 21.9k 176.9k
    anil wrote:
    Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:

    Any attempt to kill oneself is suicide.  The Jain ritual is nothing but fast unto death.This is definitely suicide. The others in the community are guilty of  encoutaging suicide.

    Yes you are right, but one lady done santhara after declaring it suicide by the court, in Bikaner. 

    This happens. all crimes occur even when people know these are wrong.  Santhara is akin to sati system that was abolished by Raja Ram Mohan's efforts.  

     

     


    G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
    http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/


  • Re: It is Salvation or Suicide

    by » 6 years ago


    rambabu
    Perandor
    1.49k 32k 218.8k

    According to the ritual, which Jains believe has been prevalent for thousands of years, a person voluntarily gives up food and water, either because of an incurable illness or due to the belief that the end is near. It is reserved only for the old and the invalid and is practised rarely


  • Re: It is Salvation or Suicide

    by » 6 years ago


    usha manohar
    Basileus
    704 19.5k 126.1k

    When it is matter of faith and belief it is Salvation ! It is like any other religion where belief becomes the predominant factor and sense and sensibilities take a back seat ..


    Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!


    Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

  • Re: It is Salvation or Suicide

    by » 6 years ago


    Shampa Sadhya
    Platinum Mate
    56 1.65k 11.2k

    The court has all the right to decide what is right and wrong but when it relates to faith then the court must pronounce judgement very sensibly. It may require some talk with the community and hold a strong discussion highlighting merits and demerits of it and then pronounce the judgement. Mental preparation is very important in this case and forceful application is not fair.


    shampasaid


  • Re: It is Salvation or Suicide

    by » 6 years ago


    vijay
    Diamond Mate
    31 4.98k 28.3k

    It is a matter of faith with the Jains but in the eyes of law it is taking one's life which is committing suicide. Every religion has strange practices which defy logic. These practices will go on as members want to follow them because they believe in them. 


  • Re: It is Salvation or Suicide

    by » 6 years ago


    anil
    MAESTRO MATE
    220 6.73k 39.2k
    rambabu wrote:

    According to the ritual, which Jains believe has been prevalent for thousands of years, a person voluntarily gives up food and water, either because of an incurable illness or due to the belief that the end is near. It is reserved only for the old and the invalid and is practised rarely

    it is right that it reserve only for old  but vogue of doing santhara is increasing in these days. Rajasthan is hum of jains. So it happen here.

     


  • Re: It is Salvation or Suicide

    by » 6 years ago


    anil
    MAESTRO MATE
    220 6.73k 39.2k
    Shampa Sadhya wrote:

    The court has all the right to decide what is right and wrong but when it relates to faith then the court must pronounce judgement very sensibly. It may require some talk with the community and hold a strong discussion highlighting merits and demerits of it and then pronounce the judgement. Mental preparation is very important in this case and forceful application is not fair.

    You are right. It is matter related with religion. People here are much serious about their religion. People don't like and interferance is religious matters. But court was ordered on the basis on law. Our constitution does not allow desire death. If courts allowed santhara that some people demand to validate Jal samadhi.

     


  • Re: It is Salvation or Suicide

    by » 6 years ago


    anil
    MAESTRO MATE
    220 6.73k 39.2k
    Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:
    anil wrote:
    Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:

    Any attempt to kill oneself is suicide.  The Jain ritual is nothing but fast unto death.This is definitely suicide. The others in the community are guilty of  encoutaging suicide.

    Yes you are right, but one lady done santhara after declaring it suicide by the court, in Bikaner. 

    This happens. all crimes occur even when people know these are wrong.  Santhara is akin to sati system that was abolished by Raja Ram Mohan's efforts.  

    It is some differ, Sati system was practise when husband died and it had no link with age. Santhra is practise even husband is alive and by the old ones. 

     

     

     

     


You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.

Diwali Celebrations - Best Article Contest

Please choose the best one out of following: [list] [*] [url=/articles/people-places/54-Social Life/18432-life-out-of-death.html]Life out of Death[/url] [*] [url=/articles/people-places/59-Customs and Culture/18436-diwali.html]Diwali...![/url] [*] [url=/articles/miscellaneous/51-General Reference/18449-the-monomania-disorder.html]The Monomania Disorder[/url] [*] [url=/articles/science-nature/70-nature/18443-wangari-maathai-the-warrior-for-green-earth.html]Wangari Maathai - The warrior for Green Earth[/url] [*] [url=/articles/miscellaneous/51-General Reference/18456-deewali-the-celebration-of-lights.html]Deewali – the celebration of lights[/url] [*] [url=/articles/people-places/54-Social Life/18462-the-art-of-gifting.html]The Art of Gifting[/url] [*] [url=/articles/people-places/48-creators/18480-birth-of-terrorism-in-india.html]Birth of terrorism in India[/url] [*] [url=/articles/miscellaneous/78-Home /18482-your-best-friends-in-kitchen.html]Your Best Friends in kitchen[/url] [*] [url=/articles/people-places/59-Customs and Culture/18453-diwali-the-brightest-festival-in-the-world.html]Diwali- The brightest festival in the world[/url] [/list] Please do not vote based on cash credits given to the article as they depend on the size and other factors of the article as well. We would like to choose the best aricle in terms of the article content and article presentation by the author. Please note that to avoid misusing the votes, we will take only genuine votes. Filtering of genuine votes is done by the administrator with the measures which are not disclosed. Administrator decision is final and no other questions entertained. [b]Note: Casting fake votes result in your account deactivation. Last date to poll your vote is 20-Nov-2011[/b]
No answer selected. Please try again.
Please select either existing option or enter your own, however not both.
Please select minimum 0 answer(s) and maximum 8 answer(s).
/polls/boddunan/6158-diwali-celebrations-best-article-contest.json?task=poll.vote
6158
radio
[{"id":"21208","title":"Life out of Death","votes":"10","type":"x","order":"0","pct":16.13,"resources":[]},{"id":"21209","title":"Diwali...!","votes":"21","type":"x","order":"0","pct":33.87,"resources":[]},{"id":"21210","title":"The Monomania Disorder","votes":"2","type":"x","order":"0","pct":3.23,"resources":[]},{"id":"21211","title":"Wangari Maathai - The warrior for Green Earth","votes":"2","type":"x","order":"0","pct":3.23,"resources":[]},{"id":"21212","title":"Deewali \u2013 the celebration of lights","votes":"14","type":"x","order":"0","pct":22.58,"resources":[]},{"id":"21213","title":"The Art of Gifting","votes":"8","type":"x","order":"0","pct":12.9,"resources":[]},{"id":"21214","title":"Birth of terrorism in India","votes":"3","type":"x","order":"0","pct":4.84,"resources":[]},{"id":"21215","title":"Your Best Friends in kitchen","votes":"2","type":"x","order":"0","pct":3.23,"resources":[]}] ["#ff5b00","#4ac0f2","#b80028","#eef66c","#60bb22","#b96a9a","#62c2cc"] ["rgba(255,91,0,0.7)","rgba(74,192,242,0.7)","rgba(184,0,40,0.7)","rgba(238,246,108,0.7)","rgba(96,187,34,0.7)","rgba(185,106,154,0.7)","rgba(98,194,204,0.7)"] 350
bottom 200
MG Singh
1 points