I feel deforestation has also increased in alarming proportions contributing to rising temperatures and many such effects. What do you think can be done to reduce it.

I have a couple of ideas.

Get signatures of all people to prevent deforestation and submit it to the municipality.
Plant a tree in your own home or in a park near your home, if permitted

At this stage i would like to share a picture which looks comical, but has deep meaning

tree.jpg (You do not have access to download this file.)
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
We have to ponder over the causes of deforestation. Land is acquired for various purposes- industry, road, rail, housing, urban development, educational institutions etc. Almost every human activity needs land and the sufferers are agriculture, forests and wild life. so, the stress should be on saving land for forests and animals. Mindless development and industrialization needs be curtailed or even stopped.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Our developmental needs arising out of abnormal growth in population are bringing about this painful phenomenon.Our planners have to take a holistic view of things.In recent years I find people in general are becoming more conscious of their role in this regard which is a welcome development.
I think that land is the limiting factor because of scarcity. Efforts should be made to economize use of space needed for various purposes so as to allow sufficient land for forests, agriculture and wild life.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Yes gulshan, land is the limiting factor.. Land is being used for commercial construction and building apartments.and trees are cut.
I think the key to this problem is Sustainable development.By definition it means "a pattern of resource use that aims to meet human needs while preserving the environment so that these needs can be met not only in the present, but also for future generations."
We have to properly plan our development.If we need to make a new building or roads we must also find some space for tress and plants.This is in case of a normal landscape.In case of forest, under the name of any development we must not destroy it.Very strict laws must be there to protect the forests.
@MC

I think you have made a very pertinent point and I would just rephrase it as "sustainable development".In the name of development we have played havoc with our ecology and chased unrealistic and unsustainable and very short-sighted developmental goals.Forests are disappearing fast,waters are getting polluted and the quality of life is getting poorer and poorer.It is,indeed, a wake-up call for us!
Deforestation is the clearance of naturally occurring forests by logging and burning them.
It creates the imbalance in the nature... I think it is not good deed.

A very good point is stated here about "Sustainable development". Hope it implements soon even by common man!!! :)

Thanks 'n' Regards,
Deepti.
Chinmoy and deepti,
Thanks for highlighting the mistake.I just wrote the wrong word in a hurry and now i have corrected it. :)
thanks for guiding all the guys on forums deepti
Hi Pradeep!

I wonder why it is -5 karma for you and considering your active involvement I must applaud!
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.