PHONELOGICAL FEATURES

•Most Hindi speakers of the north such as in Bihar say ‘school’ as ‘iskul’ and ‘stamp’ as ‘istamp’
•‘fail’ is pronounced as ‘phail’ and ‘fifty’ as ‘phipty’
•English words borrowed from French are sometimes pronounced as written in English spelling.For example,” Bouquet” is pronounced as “boukwet”
•Standard hindi vernaculars donot diffrenciate between /v/ and /w/ as,’va’and ‘wah’ so,’wine’ is pronounced as ‘vine’
•At the usage of ‘ing’ words,an addition is added such as’ga’,like instead of ‘singing’ they use ‘singinga’ or ‘reading’ as ‘readingga’
•‘cot and ‘caught’ are pronounced as the same
•‘technology’ is pronounced as ‘techknowlogy’
•Most tamilians say ‘egg’ as ‘jegg’
•Telugu speakers say ‘dzoo’ instead of ‘zoo’
•Malayali speakers replace the sounds of ‘t’,’p’.’b’ with the sound of ‘da’,such as ‘temple’ is pronounced as ‘dembel’ and ‘canteen’ as ‘candeena’
•“English” is pronounced as “inglis”

IDIOMS AND PHRASES

Several idiomatic forms crossing over from Indian literacy and vernacular have made their way into the English of masses. These might look strange to a person for whom English is the first language.

•“Your good name please?” instead of “what is your name”-carry over from Hindi expression “subhnaam” which means “auspicious name”
•“out of station” instead of “out of town”
•“deadly and hi-fi” which means,’deadly’-intence and ‘hi-fi’ stylish or beyond the perception of the average person.
Eg-“that movie was deadly yaar,what an action scene”
“that shoe is hi-fi,where did you get it from?”
•“hello,what do you want?” used by some while answering the phone,which is actually impolite
•“tell me” used when answering the phone,meaning “how can I help you?”
•“order for food” instead of “order food,as in “lets order for sandwich”
•“pin drop silence” literally means that such a silence should be maintained that even a pin drop can be heard
•“pass out” is meant to graduate,as “I passed out in 1995”
•“freak out” is meant to have fun,as in “lets go to the party and freak out”
•“unless and until” this is called as Indianism by many native speakers. This is uncommon in British english as these two words are not used at the same time.

TITLES (OF RESPECT; FORMAL)

•Referring to elders, strangers or anyone meriting respect as “jee”/’ji’ (suffix) as in “please call a taxi for Guptaji”
•Use of a prefix “shree”/”shri”(Mr) or “Shreemati”/”shrimati”(Mrs/Ms);as in “shree Ravishankar”
•Use of “mr” and “mrs” as common nouns.like
“Jyothi’s Mr came home yesterday”
“My Mrs is not feeling well”
•Use of “Mr” with the first man,for ex- Ashok Kumar mught be adderssed as “Mr Ashok” instead of “Mr Kumar”
•Use of suffix “uncle”/”aunty” while addressing relatives,strangers,friend’s parents,etc. such as “shopkeeper uncle” “vimala aunty”
•Use of ‘respected sir’ instead of ‘dear sir’ while addressing a letter

In fact, in Indian culture, children or teenagers addressing people as “Mr Patel” or “Mrs Patel” is often considered as an offence or disrespect. If a person is really once’s uncle or an aunt,they will not be addressed as ‘uncle/aunt’ but with the name of the relation in mother language.For example,if a woman is one’s mother’s sister,she would be addressed as “shantha maasi” instead of “shantha aunty” (maasi-Hindi)

INTERJECTIONS AND CASUAL REFERENCES

•Casual use of the words “yaar”(friend,buddy,man), ‘bhai’(brother),’ bhaiyya’(elder brother),’array’ and ‘accha’; much with the American English ‘man’ or ‘buddy’, as in ‘aray comon yaar!dont be such a jerk’ or ‘long time no see bhai?” used to express range of positive emotions but not occasionally as such “array yar what a bad luck!”
•Use of the word ‘T-K’ instead of ‘Okay’ or ‘OK’,like ‘T-K I will meet you tommrow’ (T-K=Thek hai in Hindi)
•Use of the word “uff!” to show distress or frustruation, as in “Uff! The baby is crying again!”
•Along with ‘uff’ there are words such as ‘oh foe! Which mean ‘oh no’ which is more whining and the south Indian equivalent is ‘aiyo’ expanded by ‘aiyaiyo’ as in “oh foe I shud do this again”,”Aiyo I fell in the water again”
•“Lady’s finger” which means okra and “brinjal” means eggplant or aubergine
•“hotel” means resturant in India.”I ate in a hotel” “Lodge refers to a place where you stay(in room) and “hotel” is the place where you eat.

ANOMALOUS USAGE

•The word “marriage” used instead of “wedding” as in “she attending sheela’s marriage”
•The word “mutton” is used to mean goat meat instead of sheep meat.(in a broader sence any red meat, not poultry or fish)
•“saloon” instead of “salon”,as in “I will visit the hair saloon”
•Greetings like ‘happy birthday’ is also said like “today is my happy birthday”
•Use of ‘reduce’ meaning ‘lose weight’ as in, ”have you reduced?”
•The use of phrases such as ‘today morning’ or ‘today evening’ instead of ‘this morning/this evening’
•Use of ‘this side and that side’ instead of ‘here’ or ‘there’, like “bring it this side”

In spite of India’s diversity, however, there is indeed a general homogeneity in syntax and vocabulary that can be found among speakers across South Asia. In upper class families, English is tropically very close to Received Pronounciation, while still retaining hints of a uniquely Indian flavor

Swetha Shenoy
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Good list. It can sound quite funny to a seasoned english teacher.

Cashmere
http://hubpages.com/profile/cashmere
not fair GM, you didn't answer my question :(
Great information shared by you. Thank you Swetha.

When opportunity is in front of you, don't hesitate to catch it. It will never come to you again. - Maverick

Well,Rajkumar,you are already speaking in the normal way!

About the "r" ,if we expand r like in "rrr" then people consider us to be from 'village' and if we cut short 'r' then they consider us to be 'posh' :dry:

What we can do is,we can do is that we can use the word 'r' like the Americans use,they say 'hw r u',we say 'how are you',we expand everything,Americans swallow up few letters like 'o' as in 'how','r'

Infact if we speak "I am going to college today" they speak "I m going to college todie" :laugh:

otherwise,everything else is normal :)

Swetha Shenoy
Great Information. Itis really good and also little funny. I suggest you post these type of article in resources as they would add to your cash value.
Hai Diwya,

I have already posted this article, check out Indian English

:)

Swetha Shenoy
Oh, sorry I din't notice. :ohmy:
Thanks.....great to know I'm normal.............thank you G-MOM
all Hail G-MOM
Good job done. This information is real and amusing.

Harish Jharia
http://harishjhariasblog.blogspot.com/
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.