On many occasions, as a keepsake or a souvenir we often get something in the form of a trophy. The common mistake that most people make is to call it a Momento. but I just want to point out that Momento is not even an English word, its a Latin word for "moment" and is not at all related to a souvenir. Whereas Memento is just that, something to 'Stir memories' of a good times, something to remember by!

So please next time you begin to say, I got a momento in my office, please correct yourself to memento! :) :) :)

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Thanks Kalyani for such a good explanation and differentiation of two words. I really liked it. This is knowledgeable. Kindly post few more such forums. I want to learn more.
The word 'Memento' also appears derived from 'memo' which is for memory. The award is for reminding one of the occasion.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Yes it is memento.many here pronounced some words like this .As correct word is Rikshaw but say rishkaw.

www.mobileeduhut.blogspot.in
The problem comes while pronouncing as most people have native language influence. :)
The problem comes while pronouncing as most people have native language influence. :)

Local accent may differ but pronunciation must be correct. When in doubt, Oxford dictionary may be consulted non only for meaning but also for pronunciation.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

[quote]Rajani K wrote:
The problem comes while pronouncing as most people have native language influence.

Local accent may differ but pronunciation must be correct. When in doubt, Oxford dictionary may be consulted non only for meaning but also for pronunciation. [/quote]

I agree, but most people are so confident that they consider themselves to be corr3ect even when they are wrongly pronouncing a word!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.