GRAMMAR

What do we mean by ‘Grammar’?

‘Grammar’ signifies a set of rules for usage of words,sentences,phrases,etc for communication and conversation.

What is the difference between Communication and Conversation?

Communication-Is the process of conveying a message/aim. Most of them is formal way of communication (through letters/emails/etc)

Conversation-It is a plain talk/casual talk which is most of the time informal (with friends, relatives, etc)

Letter-
A single component of an Alphabet is called as a ‘letter’.

For example,
“A” is a letter,
“B” is a letter, etc.

Word-
A “Word” is a group of ‘letters’ that produce a meaning.

For example,
the letters ‘C’, ’a’,’t’ combines to give a meaning to the word,’ cat’
The letters ‘r’,’e’,’a’,’d’ combines to give a meaning to the word ‘read’

Phrase-
A group of words that make a grammatical construction is known as a ‘phrase’. Generally idioms and catch phrases come under this category.

Examples of phrases-
‘After the first test’
‘Behind the scenes’,etc

Sentence-
A group of words that make a complete sense or give out a complete idea is known as sentence.

Examples-
‘I live in Hyderabad’
‘Rajan likes to eat an apple everyday’,etc

ALPHABET-

The English Alphabet consist of 26 letters starting from A to Z
This Alphabet is again divided into Vowels and Consonants

Vowels-‘a’, ‘e’, ‘I’, ‘o’, ‘u’

Consonants-‘b’,’c’,’d’,’f’,’g’,’h’,’j’,’k’,’l’,’m’,’n’,’p’,’q’,’r’,’s’,’t’,’v’,’w’,’x’,’y’,’z’

We divide Vowels and Consonants on the basis of ‘sound’. Consonants require the help of vowels to pronounce the sound.

For example,

“B” is generally pronounced as “Be” (B+e) not as just ‘B’

‘M’ is generally pronounced as “aM” (a+M) not as just ‘m’

NEXT LESSON:Parts of Speech

Swetha Shenoy
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
well done English Moderator,as I always used to remember....."well begun half done".....
The pronounciation has really a learning things.
Shewta I request you to start another discussion where you suggest all pronounciation of letter please.
I am very weak in pronounciation
Hai Soubhagya,

Can you specify which kind of words you find are difficult to pronounce?You want to know about how they are spoken or you want to know the clarity of the words written?

Thankyou,I wil surely work on it.

Swetha Shenoy
Pronunciation can be bettered by listening ot television programmes in English and talking with individuals proficient in english speaking. Correct pronunciation is also indicated in dictionary. Practice makes one perfect. Sp constant practice can give fluency and perfection in speaking as well as writing.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.