life expectancy (LE) among 15,174 Olympic athletes, who won medals between 1896 and 2010, with general population groups matched by country, gender and age.

All medalists lived an average of 2.8 years longer - a significant survival advantage over the general population in eight out of the nine country groups studied.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/Olympic-medalists-live-2-8-years-longer-than-aam-aadmi/articleshow/17620348.cms?
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
That could be attributed towards a consistent exercise regime and persistant to stay fit and normal diet

Swetha Shenoy
That could be attributed towards a consistent exercise regime and persistant to stay fit and normal diet

Clubbed with positive attitude.
I think it is due to the fitness. Almost any sports person may have healthy lifestyle and this is advantageous for long live. I feel that cricket player Yuvi also suffered from Cancer but could come out of it due to similar reason.
I would live longer too if I won a single medal in all my lifetime and received lakhs of rupees from various governments as reward plus an apartment or two thrown in the package and maybe a well-paying job somewhere! I won't have to worry about earning food so I would definitely live longer! :woohoo: :laugh:

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
2.8 years i.e. less than three years is not significant and there is possibility of even reversal of results if another sample is taken. When you consider normal life span of seventy or eighty years, the period of 2.8 years hardly matters.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

2.8 years i.e. less than three years is not significant and there is possibility of even reversal of results if another sample is taken. When you consider normal life span of seventy or eighty years, the period of 2.8 years hardly matters.

Exactly! My opinion is that such researches are nothing but waste of time! When life expectancy is already so long, people are living until ripe ages of 80 and 90 already, 2.8 years hardly matters anyway! I also fail to understand the real motive of such exercises! :blink:

Exactly! My opinion is that such researches are nothing but waste of time! When life expectancy is already so long, people are living until ripe ages of 80 and 90 already, 2.8 years hardly matters anyway! I also fail to understand the real motive of such exercises! :blink:

Reason is very simple. Every body wants to prove they too can do a study and they too can come up with a list of their findings before a gathering of elite . This is nothing but a craze to hog the limelight.
I would live longer too if I won a single medal in all my lifetime and received lakhs of rupees from various governments as reward plus an apartment or two thrown in the package and maybe a well-paying job somewhere! I won't have to worry about earning food so I would definitely live longer! :woohoo: :laugh:

I know, when they win it pours ! the central and state governments compete with each other on giving them cash rewards,sites and houses, and one wonders why so many ? There should be a system where once a government site or house is given they should not be given any more anywhere within the country.they can well afford to buy more with their own money...Also what kind of signal is being sent to poor homeless people for whom life is a constant struggle...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I know, when they win it pours ! the central and state governments compete with each other on giving them cash rewards,sites and houses, and one wonders why so many ? There should be a system where once a government site or house is given they should not be given any more anywhere within the country.they can well afford to buy more with their own money...Also what kind of signal is being sent to poor homeless people for whom life is a constant struggle...

But who cares about poor homeless people anyway! Let them live as they often live! :blink: Also when any player wins a single bronze or silver, Golds are quite rare in Olympics or any other international events, it does make us feel proud, but do they deserve so much adulation and hype? The government has invested money in those players, which comes out of our own pockets from taxes we pay, so those players are also bound by duty to earn something for our country. Give them prizes, they deserve it but, Lakhs and crores of money? several flats??? That is hard to understand!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.