Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Mousumi Ghosh wrote:
rambabu wrote:
Mousumi Ghosh wrote:

Some people still need to undergo change in thinking - why a son is important is because Hindu customs and ritual and certain rites are only carried out by a son and hence there is still a large group of people who want baby boys and not baby girls to carry forward their so called family name and do the last rites.

Performing the last rights of parents is an exclusive domain for males, is nothing but a superstition. Presently, even women also performing the last rights. Thus breaking the myth.

Exactly, that is what I said people need to undergo a massive change in their thinking, girls are equally carrying out performing the last rites of their parents. But it will take time for this feeling to seep into a large group of people.

Yes. You said it in a general way. I quoted a particular case specifically,plaguing the society. There are a plethora of issues like this.

Performing last rights is equal to both son and daughter. Once upon a time it was believed that women will get tensed when they saw a burring body but they are now facing everything with confidence. I saw Some women who are doing the cremation duties as a business. 

According to my view, I want Son or Daughter. This does not matter for me. In rural area many parent go to doctor. They want to know weather they have son or daughter. If daughter, they force doctor to kill that daughter in mother,s belly..

Performing last rights is equal to both son and daughter. Once upon a time it was believed that women will get tensed when they saw a burring body but they are now facing everything with confidence. I saw Some women who are doing the cremation duties as a business.

A correction here for all, it is the last rites and not rights! Anyway, you are right, where once women shied away from such a spectacle as a cremation, now more and more women are seen performing the last rites of their parents. In fact, last week, there was an article in a leading Marathi daily about a group of women in rural Maharashtra who have been performing the last rites of those who have no legal heir and of the dead bodies of despondent people who are so often found lying on the streets. These women are doing it not for money or anything, but only because they feel it is their duty to do something right by the people who die lonely. A rather a noble example and a slap in the face of those who still claim that having a son is the only way to heaven.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Dwarakanathan

So if change can be observed in rural areas, in cities too such change will follow suit, although it may take time.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Any change takes time before it becomes a norm, people frown at a change in the beginning. All the present societal norms were once frowned and heckled. Once the belief was that earth is flat.

I think Death and last rites are not the major concern of most of the parents; it is life that matters, the future life of their children. With the increasing humiliations against women, the human society frightens them, and the parents hope that their daughters are safe, and a few of them are inclined to think that they had a son instead of daughter. 

It all contributes to age old superstitions, which are not relevant to the ever changing world. One should go along with world.

So if change can be observed in rural areas, in cities too such change will follow suit, although it may take time.

True, it will indeed take time and education will certainly help in bringing about that change. But even in the educated people, many are still reluctant to give up the traditional beliefs.  I suspect that it is fear of letting women be more independent in taking decisions that is more at play here than the real concern for such beliefs.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Even among educated and so called evolved families you see this partiality for a male child. In our neighborhood there was a minor accdient in the nearby playground and a child got hurt , had a fractured hand . The mother was called and the first thing she said was thank god it is Smitha who got hurt and not Shreyas, my husband would kill me if anything happened to our son ....Such insensitivity coming from a mother ! I was truly disgusted by the woman's attitude !!!!!!

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.