Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I forget to add one thing.....this is season of dresses....adi kizhivu....discount sales

Meera sandhu
We in north do go for big shopping around Dashehra, when the auspicious days begin.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Let me tell something more about this month.

Since next month is Chingam, first month of Malayalam calender, all shops try to sell of their old stocks to take new stocks.
So, it's a month of great discounts all over Kerala, particularly textiles.
If you go to Tamil nadu this month, you can make big purchases, sure.....
Such sales are more in Tamil nadu than Kerala. Ask Vinod.

Also, before Chingam, every Hindu family cleans his house very well, throwing out waste items, thus welcoming prosperous Lekshmi next month.

Meera sandhu
We in north do go for big shopping around Dashehra, when the auspicious days begin.

It's a fasting month of muslims too.
Hindus take medicinal foods this month. That's the only difference

Meera sandhu
Yesterday was Avani avittom....an auspicious day for Brahmins
http://www.avaniavittam.org/index.php/en/

It comes on Avittom star of Karkidaka month and celebrated by all Brahmins of South India. I don't know about other parts

Meera sandhu
Pulling this informative thread up to make you know the importance of this month.
I have worked a lot in this thread!!!

Meera sandhu
Actually i never heard that there is a special month fro ramayana reading. By this thread i got known about this. Sandhya can you tell me the story behind this.
ramay.JPG (You do not have access to download this file.)

Slow and Steady Wins the Race.

As I have mentioned earlier, it's a month of sickness. To get rid of this, people choose Bhakthi Marg from early centuries itself, followed till today. Also, since it's the last month of our calender year, it's considered as worse and next month is the most prosperous one....Shravan month. Known as Shravanam or Chingam in Malayalam.
That's why people get rid of all waste things from homes and textiles.....so, annual sales off.

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 8573]}

It's the worst month for doing good things. No marriages, no paper work, no purchase of land, buildings, car etc....So, this month is a big head ache to Banks also, since no Hindu customer will be ready to purchase any good thing this month.

Next month see majority of functions, good purchases, transactions etc. More than 60-70% marriages of Kerala occur in Shravan month. So, auditoriums also needed to be booked months before, for conducting marriages in Chingam.

In Ramayana month, many people make a holy pilgrimage to temples of 4 brothers of Ramayana. I have explained it before. Please go through my posts. Then Aaavani avittam, Ramayana reading and illam nira are the specialties of this month. Also, many Ayurveda treatments, both for humans and elephants :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arunar/2679506383/

Meera sandhu
Today, Karkidaka month is ending......that is ..the end of malayalam year..
Tomorrow it's Chingam 1st.

I am pulling this thread up just to remind you that Karkidakam is passing by...giving way to Chingam

Meera sandhu
Sandhya, i after i got known there is a ramayan month, from then where ever i go, i am hearing about ramayana. really strange and suprising you know. When i saw my dad, he is reading ramayana, when i on the tv, they is ad telecasted about ramayana serial, on sunday when i on the tv, i saw ramayana serial is started, at night when i was watching serial, they are discussing about ramayana in the serial. I didnt understood what is happening. So when i took newspaper there i found ramayana quiz. Really suprising. I dont know what god want to give me the message in this way. I think he want me to complete the remaining pages of ramayana which i left and didnt complete.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.