Is this not unconstitutional to force teachers and students to participate in prayer in Govt. school? What is meaning of secularism if 'prayer' is thrust upon. A teacher's salary was stopped as he refused to participate in prayer. However, High court favors him. He will get paid the salary that was denied to him

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/09/09/high-court-indicates-support-for-indian-teachers-right-not-to-pray/

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Is this not unconstitutional to force teachers and students to participate in prayer in Govt. school? What is meaning of secularism if 'prayer' is thrust upon. A teacher's salary was stopped as he refused to participate in prayer. However, High court favors him. He will get paid the salary that was denied to him

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/09/09/high-court-indicates-support-for-indian-teachers-right-not-to-pray/

A state funded school cannot force any act related to any religion . The teacher is right.
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
Legally the teacher is right. But there are some ceremonies like saraswati Pooja before any academic function, breaking of coconut etc that may be considered religious but these are quite common. I don't think that it is good to make fuss of everything. School prayers are customary in every school and it is definitely improper to avoid these. But the school need not have acted so harshly as to stop his salary.

Religion should be treated as a personal issue and unless one is attending a religious school where prayers are made compulsory, one cannot be forced to pray ! Values are cuktivated and inculcated in the class room and by teachers not by making the students and teachers pray forcibly ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I also don't see anything wrong in the teacher. See we cannot force anyone to do anything. Just because the teacher is the employee of a certain orgnization recognized by the government, doesn't mean that he has to say the prayers too.
I also don't see anything wrong in the teacher. See we cannot force anyone to do anything. Just because the teacher is the employee of a certain orgnization recognized by the government, doesn't mean that he has to say the prayers too.

Prayer is part of daily routine in all schools. Prayer is in mass gathering. everyone is free to hold own opinion but if every one is allowed to blow his own trumpet, there will be no uniformity in anything. Apart from prayer, some teacher may object to certain text books also and he may say that he will not teach that part.

The act of teacher in not participating in group prayer was definitely improper. Personally I am atheist but this cannot be a justification for not participating in a group ceremony. Even then it is improper to deny salary to the teacher. The High Court has justly ordered for payment of stopped salary. Moreover, although every individual teacher and student has to participate in all activities including prayers, govt. should consider removing prayers from govt. schools in view of secular principles.

Prayer is part of daily routine in all schools. Prayer is in mass gathering. everyone is free to hold own opinion but if every one is allowed to blow his own trumpet, there will be no uniformity in anything. Apart from prayer, some teacher may object to certain text books also and he may say that he will not teach that part.

The act of teacher in not participating in group prayer was definitely improper. Personally I am atheist but this cannot be a justification for not participating in a group ceremony. Even then it is improper to deny salary to the teacher. The High Court has justly ordered for payment of stopped salary. Moreover, although every individual teacher and student has to participate in all activities including prayers, govt. should consider removing prayers from govt. schools in view of secular principles.

Now, I want to ask a technical question. Everyone is supposed to abide by the rules of an organization and follow the code of conduct. There's no and should not be any excuse. If this thing is taken into account, I feel eveyone is bound by the same rules. As students are compelled to wear uniform and they cannot opt out and come to school wearing different clothes. If students are expected to follow rules to retain uniformity, why should't the teachers set the example. Any student can go out of the way and in defense say that when our teachers aren't performing their duties, how do you expect it from us.
See, I am just putting a logical thing here and want to know how law will deal in such a case.
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

Now, I want to ask a technical question. Everyone is supposed to abide by the rules of an organization and follow the code of conduct. There's no and should not be any excuse. If this thing is taken into account, I feel eveyone is bound by the same rules. As students are compelled to wear uniform and they cannot opt out and come to school wearing different clothes. If students are expected to follow rules to retain uniformity, why should't the teachers set the example. Any student can go out of the way and in defense say that when our teachers aren't performing their duties, how do you expect it from us.
See, I am just putting a logical thing here and want to know how law will deal in such a case.

So true... Either be apart from society or follow it properly.. Right now he is suppose to be guiding the students and small children won't be able to understand the logic.. They will just say that he is not doing the prayer... He is a n example and it should be right..

Life is a box of Chocolate, You never know what you gonna get.... :)
www.InstantKhichri.blogspot.in

So true... Either be apart from society or follow it properly.. Right now he is suppose to be guiding the students and small children won't be able to understand the logic.. They will just say that he is not doing the prayer... He is a n example and it should be right..

There are two issues here. State aided schools cannot force a teacher on the matters related to religion. This was indicated by the judge himself . So, in this regard the teacher is right. But it's an educational institution. Teachers are supposed to set an example . Otherwise children will learn wrong things. In this regard the teacher is wrong.

There are two issues here. State aided schools cannot force a teacher on the matters related to religion. This was indicated by the judge himself . So, in this regard the teacher is right. But it's an educational institution. Teachers are supposed to set an example . Otherwise children will learn wrong things. In this regard the teacher is wrong.

Well state don't have choice either.. If they don't force rebels will be everywhere.. society is like that only.. to keep control u need to apply force..

Life is a box of Chocolate, You never know what you gonna get.... :)
www.InstantKhichri.blogspot.in

Yes, that's why I raised that point. And it was a very basic thing that I asked. If the kids are to be given the right direction, they will have to see the right examples around them. Or it won't take any time for them to follow their elders. And it is nature to follow the wrong things faster than tread on the right path.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.