Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
All this reminds od something slightly different- did you know that there is a Mangalore airport in Victoria Australia, two hours north of Melbourne ? I wonder if they have to change the name to Mangaluru as well... :dry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangalore_Airport_(Victoria)

Even in India itself some villages are called with the city names. For that local peoples it is okay. If you are a new person to visit a country then lot of confusions will arise. If you visit Coimbatore there are 3 places with the same name "Edarpalayam". In chennai itself one village is named as "Kannada palayam". Do they change the name?. Due to the name change lot of confusions only get arising.

Names of villages and colonies do not matter so much as these are of interest only to locals. Every city has number of colonies or sub colonies in same name. Hence it is necessary always to mention complete addtess of any place in correspondence and also verbal communication to somebody. I live here in shanti Kunj, West Arjun Nagar agra. There are some other places also naed shanti Kunj or Shanti Nagar. If you don't mention the main colony or concerned post ofice/ police station/ street, there is likely to be confusion.

The favourite reason for name changes is that the British spelt them to their taste. If that was so then within first few years after independence they should have been changed. Now Banglore has become a synonym for IT world over and the govt changes it to Bengaluru! Similarly with other famous cities too.
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
All this reminds od something slightly different- did you know that there is a Mangalore airport in Victoria Australia, two hours north of Melbourne ? I wonder if they have to change the name to Mangaluru as well... :dry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangalore_Airport_(Victoria)

Even in India itself some villages are called with the city names. For that local peoples it is okay. If you are a new person to visit a country then lot of confusions will arise. If you visit Coimbatore there are 3 places with the same name "Edarpalayam". In chennai itself one village is named as "Kannada palayam". Do they change the name?. Due to the name change lot of confusions only get arising.

Names of villages and colonies do not matter so much as these are of interest only to locals. Every city has number of colonies or sub colonies in same name. Hence it is necessary always to mention complete addtess of any place in correspondence and also verbal communication to somebody. I live here in shanti Kunj, West Arjun Nagar agra. There are some other places also naed shanti Kunj or Shanti Nagar. If you don't mention the main colony or concerned post ofice/ police station/ street, there is likely to be confusion.

The favourite reason for name changes is that the British spelt them to their taste. If that was so then within first few years after independence they should have been changed. Now Banglore has become a synonym for IT world over and the govt changes it to Bengaluru! Similarly with other famous cities too.

Nehru the first P.M. did not hate British and their legacy. so the names of cities and places used by British were okay to him and others. Then the leaders simply worked for peace, progress and prosperity of the nation instead of demolishing the legacy of British. But later politicians were more occupied with the gimmicks of changing names of cities. I don't think there was anything wrong with city names like Bombay, Calcutta, Madras, Trivendrum, Bangalore. It is cheap sentimentalism that provokes change in names.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Dwarakanathan, vijay

Whether it is regionalism or not is one point.  But much larger issues remain. 

For example, Bangalore is becoming unmanageable with every passing day.  The IT companies are moving out, because of crumbling infrastructure.  One cannot go around comfortably in Bangalore, or for that matter in Chennai, which was actually called Madras, some fifteen years ago.

Our cities are all dying.  Some development happens but the population becomes so rich.  So, only the service sector fellows -- all the shops that sell all the goods and services are so happy, as the population is so huge. 

But what happens to the people?  The politicians talk a lot and do nothing.  The cities continue to suffer.  Only some right-spirited citizens need to fight it out to get something done -- rather urgently.

Readers may highlight some good work done by the Government or by the private sector, or by the people themselves.

• If it'qs so, I would change my name as Thomas Alva Edison Now, it's happening in the newly formed Telengana state. Anything that reflects the name of Andhra,are being changed and renamed as Telangana names. Height of madness.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.