There are some habits of Indians, that are really difficult to understand.  Young or old, or educated or uneducated, most Indians relish spitting on public roads, and often, right in the middle of the road.

Various suggestions have been given -- like a compulsory fine for such behavior.  But nothing seems to be working.

What can be done?  Can spittoons offer some solution, and can we really do something about it?

Readers, please do present your views.  What can be really done?

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Well, i guess by heavily fining such people spitting can be controlled, there is no other way. Just like now people do wear seat belts to avoid paying fine, similarly only if they have to pay a price by spitting will it be controlled to some extent. Also, govt should have spittoons for people to use them.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Catch hold of the person who spat and force him to spit in his own house.

Thank you Sir, and Madam.  Sir's views are well taken.  In fact, one day, I did argue with a guy who went on spitting on the road, if he would do it in his own house.  This happened in Tiruchirapalli.  The shameless fellow replied that India is a democratic country, and I could not complain. 

I just wondered, what exactly we mean by democracy.  Apart from fine, do you think educating children at schools and so on, can help?

Thank you Sir, and Madam.  Sir's views are well taken.  In fact, one day, I did argue with a guy who went on spitting on the road, if he would do it in his own house.  This happened in Tiruchirapalli.  The shameless fellow replied that India is a democratic country, and I could not complain. 

I just wondered, what exactly we mean by democracy.  Apart from fine, do you think educating children at schools and so on, can help?

Perhaps, he meant democracy as spitting everywhere and thereby  declaring at the top of his voice, "I'm a proud citizen of Democratic India."

Educating children can definitely help, in fact if school children see elders doing a wrong action such as spitting in public, they can also forbid such people. In fact as parents  everybody should also teach their respective children to inculcate the habit of not spitting anywhere they like other than spittons. I see the autodrive mostly doing this irritating thing of spitting right in the middle of the road.

Democracy comes with a price since we need to respect others freedom and not encroach on their freedom. But Indian democracy is a selfish one, meant only for an individual and may be extends to his family...damn the rest ! You tell someone, 'please dont spit' , he will immediately tell you, is this your road? this is public property and I can do what I want !!!! In such an uneducated and backward scenario, to get these people to think as one naton is not an easy task...It may take centuries before we see any positive change 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

The spitting habit came into Indians because of the Congress misrule all these years.It was under Congress that India became a democratic country. Now that the dynastic and corrupt rule has been replaced by a new govt.which  will follow such policies that Indians will stop spitting !!!.

The spitting habit came into Indians because of the Congress misrule all these years.It was under Congress that India became a democratic country. Now that the dynastic and corrupt rule has been replaced by a new govt.which  will follow such policies that Indians will stop spitting !!!.

None can stop spitting habit of Indians. If that day comes, I'll  be the first to celebrate.

With the change in Govt, we can certainly expect some change, but as responsible citizens we should discourage when someone is spitting at public places.

We are thic skinned, no amount of discouraging will work. Yesterday at the beach I noticed people spitting and urinating under the board that carried the message of Swatcha Bharat.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.