There have been several suggestions from many quarters about improving Railway services.  However, not much seems to have really been done.  Whatever improvements have happened, these have not been transformed into on-time performance, increasing the speed of trains and so on.  The food that is served at the Railway Stations is just not worth the money that is being charged.

While all this is a pathetic state of affairs, what can be done?

Can we partly privatize the Railways, like for example, outsource the maintenance of toilets and all fittings to private Corporates, and give them the right to advertise in the spaces available in reserved coaches?  Or may be, request that such a thing could be part of their Corporate Social Responsibility?

Maintenance of Railway Stations may be totally privatized, and the concerned parties may provide chairs, good drinking water, ensure cleanliness and so on. 

What are the other suggestions?  Please do chip in with your views. 

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Yes, I have joined some online communities where they share agendas on improving railways- various aspects. But not much improvement can be seen. I think yes privatization is the need of the hour. Govt. has failed to cater to the needs of commuters, hence private companies should be encouraged to chip in and better the railways.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

People and the government join hands sincerely. It's a joint venture. Any sluggishness in any of the two , nothing can be done.

Is it easy to privatize any service in this country? The employees of government departments will never let it happen. See the case of banks, the employees are one of the highest paid ones but still keep threatening government to go on long strikes and they chose days that gives them additional days to have paid fun  at the cost of public' tax. 

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

The stress should be on providing best services to poorer sections of society. Second class unreserved boges need to be increased and more facilities provided. Besides security and medical care are also of paramont importance. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I travel frequently. I have observed all classes of passengers litter platforms at will.I have seen them dirty compartments without hesitation. Toilets are mercilessly dirtied even in Rajdhani trains. As a general rule passengers do not want to spend on quality food and services. They want best food at lowest price. Blaming rail authorities all the time is not fair. It is we who dirty,misuse and then sit in judgement. Yes privatization can improve but then passengers will have to shell out two to three rimes the present fare.

Unless, people join hands with the policies of the government , nothing substantial will happen. It  needs two hands to produce a clap.

vijay wrote:

I travel frequently. I have observed all classes of passengers litter platforms at will.I have seen them dirty compartments without hesitation. Toilets are mercilessly dirtied even in Rajdhani trains. As a general rule passengers do not want to spend on quality food and services. They want best food at lowest price. Blaming rail authorities all the time is not fair. It is we who dirty,misuse and then sit in judgement. Yes privatization can improve but then passengers will have to shell out two to three rimes the present fare.

That's true, people do dirty when they have the option and provision of using trash bins. I have also seen people stealing towels given in 2AC compartments...and then complaining the attendant of missing towels and what not. Even if we have best service, we need to value it and keep it clean. Hence, privatization is all the more required.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Even privatization will not serve the purpose, without people's active participation.

Indians value only when things are costly or there is fear of punishment. The same everywhere anytime spitting Indian  gulps it down in Singapore or USA or Dubai or even in Malaysia for fear of being caught and heavily fined. Privatization should be available as an alternative to those who can afford paying actual fares as many Indians are still very poor and thus need state run railways to cater for many years. 

Indians care for things when the virtues of the things are appreciated by foreigners. Till then the things are mere non entities. 

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.