We notice that there are times when a seemingly less intelligent person being able to handle certain situations better than well read and intelligent people. I wonder at times whether being street smart is the same as having common sense or intelligence? What is your opinion on this? Is the academic intelligence not good enough to help you deal with tricky situations in life or do we require both ?


Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, +1 on Google, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
  • Re: Being street smart is common sense or intelligent?

    by » 3 weeks ago


    You reminded me about a personal technical experience. I visited a sugar mill in the beginning of my career as sales engineer for a big welding technology company and dealt with their engineers. However I generally found that their welders were better equipped with ideas due to their on job experience than the engineers. The welders asked so typical questions at times which made me think twice before answering. One example- one welder asked "why the smoke is green when using one of your electrodes?" Trust me I had to consult one of my company's engineers to get the proper information about the flux used on that special electrode. So, it's all about curiosity and willingness to solve the problem that improves creativity and willingness to work.    


    Thank you said by: usha manohar

  • Re: Being street smart is common sense or intelligent?

    by » 3 weeks ago


    suni51 wrote:

    You reminded me about a personal technical experience. I visited a sugar mill in the beginning of my career as sales engineer for a big welding technology company and dealt with their engineers. However I generally found that their welders were better equipped with ideas due to their on job experience than the engineers. The welders asked so typical questions at times which made me think twice before answering. One example- one welder asked "why the smoke is green when using one of your electrodes?" Trust me I had to consult one of my company's engineers to get the proper information about the flux used on that special electrode. So, it's all about curiosity and willingness to solve the problem that improves creativity and willingness to work.    

    But isn't curiosity and willingness to look beyond one's sphere of work also a mark of intelligence?


    Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!


  • Re: Being street smart is common sense or intelligent?

    by » 3 weeks ago


    suni51 wrote:

    You reminded me about a personal technical experience. I visited a sugar mill in the beginning of my career as sales engineer for a big welding technology company and dealt with their engineers. However I generally found that their welders were better equipped with ideas due to their on job experience than the engineers. The welders asked so typical questions at times which made me think twice before answering. One example- one welder asked "why the smoke is green when using one of your electrodes?" Trust me I had to consult one of my company's engineers to get the proper information about the flux used on that special electrode. So, it's all about curiosity and willingness to solve the problem that improves creativity and willingness to work.    

    But isn't curiosity and willingness to look beyond one's sphere of work also a mark of intelligence?


    Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!


  • Re: Being street smart is common sense or intelligent?

    by » 3 weeks ago


    If a person is smart and knows how to fool others can probably earn much more than a person who used to excel in studies. I have seen people who are manipulative in nature get much more better opportunities in corporate sector.

  • Re: Being street smart is common sense or intelligent?

    by » 3 weeks ago


    arjun sai wrote:
    If a person is smart and knows how to fool others can probably earn much more than a person who used to excel in studies. I have seen people who are manipulative in nature get much more better opportunities in corporate sector.

    You can fool.some of the people some of the time but cannot fool all the people, all the time. Manipulation has its limits ..


    Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!


  • Re: Being street smart is common sense or intelligent?

    by » 3 weeks ago


    usha manohar wrote:
    arjun sai wrote:
    If a person is smart and knows how to fool others can probably earn much more than a person who used to excel in studies. I have seen people who are manipulative in nature get much more better opportunities in corporate sector.

    You can fool.some of the people some of the time but cannot fool all the people, all the time. Manipulation has its limits ..

    I agree with this statement. Manipulation might work 70% of times but finally it is knowledge which comes to rescue. Being more knowledgeable is any day. A street smart person is one who has knowledge combined with experience of day to day difficulties will be any day more successful then a person who has just bookish knowledge. Being steet-smart has become very important in today's world rather then just gathering bookish knowledge.


  • Re: Being street smart is common sense or intelligent?

    by » 3 weeks ago


    Education is not enough. Experience is also important. If we go to village we will find their many people who are much expert in their fields than a qualified person.


    Thank you said by: arjun sai

  • Re: Being street smart is common sense or intelligent?

    by » 2 weeks ago


    I guess a combination of mental superiority , experience and the abity to forsee and evaluate before acting would make sure that a person gets the best advantage. We keep trying to achieve this all our life but there are a few exceptional people who really stand out with their insight and capability to assess a situation accurately. 


    Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!


    Thank you said by: epraneeth77

  • Re: Being street smart is common sense or intelligent?

    by » Yesterday


    Academic excellence and common sense ..they both need intelligence. Yes I would say it is the need of life skill which is more important in most of the circumstances than just mere academic degrees. 


    I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

    www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in


    Thank you said by: epraneeth77

  • Re: Being street smart is common sense or intelligent?

    by » 9 hours ago


    In present education system education don't teach about practical life. With academic degree one must have some practical knowledge.


You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.