The topic is locked.
Before the year 1000, the word “she” did not exist in the English language. The singular female reference was the word “heo”, which also was the plural of all genders. The word “she” appeared only in the 12th century, about 400 years after English began to take form. “She” probably derived from the Old English feminine “seo”, the Viking word for feminine reference.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Let us congratulate British for inventing 'she'. We have still not Hindi equivalent yet. We use 'voh' for male and female both. However we use different verb form for feminine gender unlike English who use the same verb form irrespective of gender.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Yes it was the British who gave a modified form of the English language and there should be a word in Hindi and Bengali too to refer to both male and female.

Sharmistha Banerjee
Let us congratulate British for inventing 'she'. We have still not Hindi equivalent yet. We use 'voh' for male and female both. However we use different verb form for feminine gender unlike English who use the same verb form irrespective of gender.

We have in Telugu language separate words for He and She . They are Atadu and Aame respectively.
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
This is new piece of information to me and maybe the word single word "heo" look weird to hear. We should be thankful to English who made this word pleasing to hear. :)
This is new piece of information to me and maybe the word single word "heo" look weird to hear. We should be thankful to English who made this word pleasing to hear. :)

Not only for this word, but we should be thankful to English for the entire language of English..
Thank you said by: Taniya Choudhury
I am not aware of this information. Thanks for sharing important information

We have in Telugu language separate words for He and She . They are Atadu and Aame respectively.

I guess all south Indian Languages have separate words for he and she including Kannada, Tulu and Tamil, the three that I know of.... also kodava language !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I guess all south Indian Languages have separate words for he and she including Kannada, Tulu and Tamil, the three that I know of.... also kodava language !

True, this difference was marked by me long ago. Can you please throw some light on kodava language if its not out of the way?

True, this difference was marked by me long ago. Can you please throw some light on kodava language if its not out of the way?

Sure ! Kodava language is spoken by Kodavas who are from a district called Coorg in Karnataka.It is a beautiful hill resort and Kodavas trace back their ancestry to Greeks ( part of Alexanders troop that settled down in Karnataka...)Coorgs are a very good looking race and their language 'Kodava is a mixture of Kannada,Tulu and Malayalam...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: rambabu, jabeen
B) I think no word in Hindi for females. Tum or voh both used for male and female.
Yes it was the British who gave a modified form of the English language and there should be a word in Hindi and Bengali too to refer to both male and female.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.