Manchadi and Kunnikuru are just a kid's lovely fantasies.... collecting and playing with them. Now also, if I get those lovely red beads, I can't stay away. I just collect them for my kid. Nowadays, both are very rare to see. Have you ever played with these two, in your childhood days? Hoping this thread can refresh your childhood memories a lot :)
Just check it to see Kunnimani
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mohanraj/2468831458/
This is manchadi. (Both are Malayalam names)

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 8874]}
Manchadi is used by Jyothishis also.
Through this thread, let us discuss about our childhood games also, and thus pass to next generation.
I will share a few through this thread. Hoping you too! :P

Meera sandhu
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
it looks like these are seeds of some sort, never saw them before! I think they are more common in Kerala than anywhere else!

The ones in the flickr photo are called as Gunj in Marathi, we did play with during my childhood and they

During my childhood we used to collect and play with something called Sagargota or Sagargoti, big marble grey seeds with tough cover, these are also used as medicinal remedy for many ailments. I could not find the photo of them but only this one that shows its hairy pods, actual sagargotis are encased inside that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinesh_valke/4189773363/

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Actually, kunnikuru is of two types....pure white and the other one with red+black colour.
White kunnikuru totally resembles a hen's egg, though it's small in size.

About Manchadi,
It's used by Jyothishis to predict future, star predictions etc......it's known as Kavadi nirathal.
I don't know its scientific truth.
They, after knowing our star, just think in their mind. Then put Manchadis in their wooden plate and count it, if it's odd or even and remaining manchadi. According to this, they predict star positions and also tell us, if, what we wish will come true or not. They even predict, how long it will take, any problems etc....
let me check any video

Meera sandhu
Sandhya I never heard of such games and moreover I never played any kind of outdoor games.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race.

Sandhya I never heard of such games and moreover I never played any kind of outdoor games.

These seeds are used for indoor plays...not outdoor
Also, it's the hobby of kids to collect these seeds

Meera sandhu
Kallankuzhi...also known as pallankuzhi is our most favourite game played using these seeds. How many of you have played this game?

Meera sandhu
In childhood girls play with some seeds and they thing as penny and the winner is declared with more seeds in hand.

www.mobileeduhut.blogspot.in
In childhood girls play with some seeds and they thing as penny and the winner is declared with more seeds in hand.

are they same seeds shown in the picture or shown in the link?

Meera sandhu

No is brown and black. Mostly these are seeds of imli.

understood....imli used for fish curry and sambar. Right?
we used to dry fry them and it's something special to chew it. It's fondly known as OX biscuit as we need to chew that hard seed for a long time. :woohoo: :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Meera sandhu

understood....imli used for fish curry and sambar. Right?
we used to dry fry them and it's something special to chew it. It's fondly known as OX biscuit as we need to chew that hard seed for a long time. :woohoo: :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yes it has a chatka swad with some salt and chill. :P :P :P :P :P :P

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.