The topic is locked.

No. These foods mentioned below were always thought to be of Indian origin. Astonishingly, they are not.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/food/food-features/Foods-you-thought-were-of-Indian-origin-but-arent/articleshow/48392920.cms

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Rosgolla comes as a surprise but Samosas and Rajma , I knew came here from Arabia and Mexico respectively, so also kebabs and Biriyani , so also Coffe which came from Africa with the Britishers .I have eaten the tastiest Jalebis in Istambul, Turkey with lots of .almond and pista flakes sprinkled on it. They have different kinds of Jalebis made there using fruits etc..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Oh... you had a sweet experience !!!. Jalebis too vary from country to country.

Surprising origins of gulab jamun. I was aware about the other but not gulab jamun. Some to think of it, chillies and potatoes that are an integral part of Indian cuisine, also are not Indian in their origins.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I too was under the impression that Gulab Jamun is of Indian origin. The list given in the link cleared all my doubts about the origin of foods.

I am quite surprised to know that none of the famous sweets and curry that we relish in India are of Indian origin. Though some of the food items mentioned in the list may not be mentioned in the list might not be of Indian origins, they ve been popularused by Indians. For instance even though chicken tikki masala is said to ve its origin in Glassglow, famous chefs around the world refer to it as Indian curry

Different foods entered India through different foreign invasions and through the travellers who visited different countries and introduced to India.

India must have been a bland place. The Aryans came from Europe, and now our delicacies also came from abroad. The only vegetable that grew here was brinjal and grass for the animals. These studies are not believable and there is a subtle hint of denying Indians credit for being a developed culture before the Europeans discovered her. 

Are you sure brinjal is not of any other country? If it is so we should be proud of brinjal as well as grass.

vijay wrote:

India must have been a bland place. The Aryans came from Europe, and now our delicacies also came from abroad. The only vegetable that grew here was brinjal and grass for the animals. These studies are not believable and there is a subtle hint of denying Indians credit for being a developed culture before the Europeans discovered her. 

I thought on the same lines. I knew we had no civilization before Mughals or Europeans came to this unfortunate country.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

suni51 wrote:
vijay wrote:

I thought on the same lines. I knew we had no civilization before Mughals or Europeans came to this unfortunate country.

Beware historians may chase you.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.