Stamp collection known for their antique value is no more a hobby. It's a very good investment.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/bangalore/philately-no-longer-just-a-hobby/article7750678.ece?homepage=true

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Stamp collecting hobby is now going down as letter writing has almost come to a stop. However old stamps are fetching a good value in the market. Sometime back I saw an collection of few Gandhi centenary stamps from different countries being offered at more than a lakh of rupees. There is nothing wrong if hobby can lead one to riches.

Philately or stamp collection is no more a hobby. If the stamps are of Historic value or even with some errors, they bear immense importance. Such stamps fetch fabulous amounts at times. In this respect Philately  has become an important profitable investment.

I have been collecting stamps since the time I was in school and have a huge collection of old stamps which has been added on to by my children. I and my children collect stamps for pleasure and have not really bothered to get it evaluated ...some of them may be valuable!

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

If you can arrange a little exhibition some of the viewers who are avid stamp collectors may  evaluate the value of your collection. Of course, if you prefer to keep it as a hobby, its OK. A friend of mine found one of his stamps was reversely printed. A stamp collector paid my friend Rs,1000 and took it away. My friend did not spend much of an amount on this stamp.

usha manohar wrote:

I have been collecting stamps since the time I was in school and have a huge collection of old stamps which has been added on to by my children. I and my children collect stamps for pleasure and have not really bothered to get it evaluated ...some of them may be valuable!

Old stamps are like antic items. If you want to sale these than try online auction sites.

anil wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Old stamps are like antic items. If you want to sale these than try online auction sites.

Rambabu too was suggesting , but many of the stamps that i have were given to me by my father and later he encouraged me to collect them and arrange them in order etc...Now that he is no more with us , for me it is very precious.Once we took the stamp books and displayed it when a stamp exhibition was held in our city.Many collectors had brought their collections there. I will never sell any stamp, at the most we exchange stamps , those we have more than one ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:
anil wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Rambabu too was suggesting , but many of the stamps that i have were given to me by my father and later he encouraged me to collect them and arrange them in order etc...Now that he is no more with us , for me it is very precious.Once we took the stamp books and displayed it when a stamp exhibition was held in our city.Many collectors had brought their collections there. I will never sell any stamp, at the most we exchange stamps , those we have more than one ...

These stamps or not only stamps these symbol of love and affection of your father have with you, Thousands rupess can be immolation on these. These are invaluable.

Thank you said by: usha manohar
usha manohar wrote:
anil wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Its OK. Stamp collection as a hobby is also good. If you don't want to sell your stamp collection, at least try to add more stamps to satisfy the wishes of your late Father.

Many stamps in my little collection from my childhood take me down the  memory lane and remind of the times gone by.

No wonder. Seeing the old collected stamps will take you down the memory lane. Though I'm not a stamp collector, i have a few Currency notes belonging to British regime. These notes were given to me by my grand father with love. Though I do not remember the British India, I certainly remember my Grand father's love. He was the one who pruned my name Rama Mohan Rao to Rambabu which afterward remained. Such things flood me whenever I see those currency notes by my Grand father.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.