Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
rambabu wrote:

"Panchanga Sravanam "  is a general practice during Ugadi celebrations.

Veda Scholars predict according to a particular person's  his or her Tidhi, Vara and Nakshatra, the details of that person's Income and expenditure.

And " Hevalambi nama Samvatsara" is the name of the year according to Indian Almanac

But why does one need a vedic scholar to predict a person's income expenditure? He would know the sources of his income and expenditure better than anyone else. What is the significance of consulting a scholar to make prediction like that?

I agree. But "Panchanga Sravanam " is a ritual closely linked with the Ugadi festival. It is a belief and convention

Panchanga Sravanam sounds like a calendar (panchang) where information about your horoscope is given.. Is this the same thing?

It is not only about the  Horoscope of an individual. But it is the Horoscope of a Place too. This Panchanga Sravanam predicts the future of a place as well as an individual

For example, on Ugadi day, Our CM of AP learned about the future of the State. According to Panchanga Sravanam, the State's future is quite promising and there will be enough rainfall etc.

Similarly, On Ugadi day, my wife's future for one year has been predicted.

rambabu wrote:

It is not only about the  Horoscope of an individual. But it is the Horoscope of a Place too. This Panchanga Sravanam predicts the future of a place as well as an individual

For example, on Ugadi day, Our CM of AP learned about the future of the State. According to Panchanga Sravanam, the State's future is quite promising and there will be enough rainfall etc.

Similarly, On Ugadi day, my wife's future for one year has been predicted.

You were going around saying that you were a rationalist , also belonged to some group of rationalist etc etc  sometime back in  discussions on such subjects as horoscope and predictions...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Just now, my wife came from a visit of temples around. when she left for the temples visit, i said dont worry about my dinner. You can take your time.

Rambabu is a brinjal who goes along well with all vegetables. His opinions are everyone's opinions. Yatha post tatha opinion.

Here is North India Navratra means fast of 8 or 9 days. It is believed in these days with fast one can pure body to and prepare it for summer.

Of course Fasting is good for health and it purifies the body. Fasting helps during Summers.

usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

We celebrated Gudhi Padwa yesterday, the beginning of a new year for us. It is celebrated to mark the victory of Shalivahan over the shakas and it also when Shalivahan introduced the calendar that we Maharashtrians still follow, the calendar is called as Shalivahan Shake. We celebrate this day by raising Gudhi or the 'Brahmadhwaj' outside our homes. Gudhi is prepared by draping a new cloth at one end of a bamboo stick, tying a branch of mango leaves and neem leaves and flowers, decorating it with a garland of marigold flowers and a special garland made of sugar medallions (sakhrechi gathi) and placing a copper or silver lota over this. We then draw a Swastik on this lota with kumkum and ashtagandha and this gudhi is then raised outside our window or balcony. This is done in the mornings and the gudhi is taken off at sunset. We eat prasad made of blending together tender new neem leaves and flowers, jaggery, coriander seeds and cumin seeds. This is so that we can avail the goodness and healing as well as cooling properties of neem and help counter the heat of the summer.

I watched this on TV , very interesting and artistic . India is so very rich in its customs and traditions..We too keep a small copper pot which we call chombu filled with well water , covered with mango and nettle leaves and keep a coconut inverted on top of it and decorate it with local fowers . This is smeared with kumkum and haldi and kept near the entrance by the eldest member of the family.

True Usha! Almost all of the customs and rituals that Indians follow have evolved around nature and these are the way to pay tributes to mother nature in the most interesting and artistic manner. Tradition of rangoli, decorating our front doors with garlands of flowers and leaves etc. show how artistic and aesthetic our ancestors were. Sadly, now, in the name of celebration, we create havoc to the nature and think nothing else but to celebrate somehow, without giving a thought to preservation of nature or anything like that!.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.