Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
This is a matter of shame, whatever the MP's religion may be, the moment he enters those hallowed portals of democracy,. he or she is expected to honour and respect all that stands for what is our country, including the National song. But this attitude of disrespecting the song just because it contains word mataram is a sign that as a country and that too, a democratic one, we still have not evolved and have a long way to go. Exactly the kind of attitude that shows the chinks in our integrity and unity and is the very achilles' heel that the other countries know of and take advantage of us! :blink: Truly shameful!

I totally agree with that , whe you decide to be part of your country's governance nothing else should come in the way. Like in Religion you have certail regulations so does national feeling .If one is unable or unwilling to show respect then one should not be a part of the process, since they take a oath after being elected ...

True, once they take an oath, then they are ideally no longer followers of a Hindu religion or Muslim religion but they are first and foremost citizens of India with only one religion, that is nationalism. But then who understands or even realises the significance of the oath that they take?? The problem is that in spite of occasional claims of Indians being united in spite of vast diversity, at heart they are not, otherwise, such misdemeanors would not happen!

The fact remains that most of us are more religious than nationalist or secular. There is no controversy on national anthem and even on other songs like 'Sare jahan se achhha'. Controversy is always on the national song- Vande mataram. Those who are very enthusiastic on this song are so not because of their 'nationalism' but because of religious reason. Those who do not respect this song also do for religious reasons. It is not compulsory to recite or be present in a gathering where this is recited. Those who dislike this song are free to absent themselves but not insult.

But I do not see any religious angle in Vande Mataram apart from it's simple prayer for mother. I do not think that any religion forbids to sing praise for his/her own mother. Our nation is considered mother in our culture, so it should not be a big problem if one only stands while the song is on even if one does not want to sing it. I don't think Bankim C C ever thought in his wildest of dreams about religion angle when he wrote this song.

Our viewpoint does not so matter. You have also to consider the viewpoint and feelings of those who oppose this song. Ifthey have reason to oppose, they will. But they should not actively disrespect but only absent themselves well in time. To elucidate, I do not support idol worship. But I cannot disrespect a deity image in a temple. I can choose not to enter a temple.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.