Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Ushaji you are correct regarding the composition of a compost. Just remember that your compost should not contain any plastic material or polythin bags. It makes soil poisonous.

Yes that's correct :) , we have to take care not to have any plastic material while making compost at home .I was told by a horticulturist that one can add a couple of old small AAA or AA batteries that we use and throw...this is supposed to be good for soil and also add all tablets and pills that are past the date..

I have used expired medicines but never heard of using old batteries. That's a great way of recycling the batteries as well, have you ever used it? And how to use them, like just throw the batteries in the whole pile and then remove the shells after the compost is done??

How did you used the expired medicines? Did you dissolve them in water before putting them in the soil or did you simply threw it in the soil? Do you have any idea of whether every kinds of medicine can be used? I mean there are some medicines which are considered very strong.

Jabeen, you can add the tablets directly into the pile or crush them a little and add them, they mix with the soil in time.Even if you are not making compost at home ,You can still add the medicines even cough mixture and stuff into the flower pot by digging the top soil a little adding the stuff ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: jabeen
Ushaji you are correct regarding the composition of a compost. Just remember that your compost should not contain any plastic material or polythin bags. It makes soil poisonous.

Yes that's correct :) , we have to take care not to have any plastic material while making compost at home .I was told by a horticulturist that one can add a couple of old small AAA or AA batteries that we use and throw...this is supposed to be good for soil and also add all tablets and pills that are past the date..

I have used expired medicines but never heard of using old batteries. That's a great way of recycling the batteries as well, have you ever used it? And how to use them, like just throw the batteries in the whole pile and then remove the shells after the compost is done??

In fact kalyani, whenever I have a used battery, I just stick into one of the pots, just dig out the top soil and place it under it, it decomposes and mixes with the soil.It is supposed to be very good for pest attack - I mean to prevent pests from attacking the plant..

Yes, that does make sense!! Batteries seem to be a good way to battle the pests! I must try it out as some of my plants have white mealy bugs on them!! I hope it works on them!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

In fact kalyani, whenever I have a used battery, I just stick into one of the pots, just dig out the top soil and place it under it, it decomposes and mixes with the soil.It is supposed to be very good for pest attack - I mean to prevent pests from attacking the plant..

Yes, that does make sense!! Batteries seem to be a good way to battle the pests! I must try it out as some of my plants have white mealy bugs on them!! I hope it works on them!

I think it would work.I had some problems with some of my indoor plants ,mainly during monsoon months when they dont receive enough sunlight , but after I stuck in a couple of batteries they seem better.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Is it only dry cell or car battery? Battery is charging now to plant. Heheheheh. :P :P :P :P :P

www.mobileeduhut.blogspot.in
Is it only dry cell or car battery? Battery is charging now to plant. Heheheheh. :P :P :P :P :P

You need to invent special sized pots for burying car batteries, but not a bad idea - from dust to dust... :laugh:

Wow Usha you have given nice idea to prepare compost for plants. Especially a great tip that AAA batteries are good for the soil. I wish sure try these as am getting new plants. So I need to look after them so carefully.

Sarala, it is better to add the batteries after the plant is well established and growing well just in case the new plants find it a bit too strong - never know ...

Traditionally composting at home was done in a pit in the corner of a garden.
Today a pit is not always a viable option. Also, most urban Indians are not aware that you can significantly improve urban waste problems by composting at home.
So it is a good habit to use the manure of home compost in garden.

www.mobileeduhut.blogspot.in
Traditionally composting at home was done in a pit in the corner of a garden.
Today a pit is not always a viable option. Also, most urban Indians are not aware that you can significantly improve urban waste problems by composting at home.
So it is a good habit to use the manure of home compost in garden.

You are absolutely right Ram, I too still do it the traditional way, have a pit into which I put everything - kitchen waste, garden waste, soil,dry leaves just about everything that degrades.It is the best way of disposing household waste and also keeping the environment clean :)

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.