Sports 2009 - a round up
Hi friends, I would like to recall you what all important events happened in the field SPORTS last year 2009, through this article.
• Serena Williams lifted Australian Open title for the 4th time.
• Yuki Bambri won the 1st ever Junior Australian Open title by an Indian.
• Somdev Dev Varman became the 1st Indian to enter into the finals of Chennai Open. But unfortunately he had to end up with 2nd place in the tournament.
• Mathew Hayden retired from International Cricket.
• Mumbai raised the Ranji Trophy for the 38th time by defeating U.P in the finals.
• In Junior Olympics Hockey, India won the Silver medal.
• India’s Bhupathy and Sania Mirza won the mixed doubles title at the Australian Open.
• England’s Pietersen and Flintoff were auctioned at the highest ever 7.35crore rupees for IPL season-2.
• M.Muralitharan crossed Wasim Akram’s 502 wickets to become the highest wicket taken in ODIs.
• West Zone won the Duleep Trophy for the 17th time in Indian Domestic Cricket history.
• Sri Lankan cricketers were attacked by terrorists during their tour to Pakistan. 8 players were injured in this attack and the series was called off.
• India won the ODI series after 33 years in New Zealand soil.
• Pakistan defeated India in the Junior Hockey finals by the Golden Goal to lift the trophy.
• Koneru Humpi won the Istanbul Grand Prix Chess Championship title.
• Women’s Cricket World cup was won by England team. New Zealand and India finished at 2nd and 3rd positions.
• Sourav was removed from KKR’s captaincy.
• 2nd IPL T20 season was conducted in South Africa. Deccan Chargers won the trophy.
• Rahul Dravid became the highest catch taker (183 catches) in test cricket.
• India won the Test series after 41 years in New Zealand soil.
• India’s Gagan Narang won the Gold medal in the 50mts rifle-3 group and Bronze medal in the 10mts Air rifle group in the World Cup Shooting Tournament.
• Chess Oscar was conferred to Vishwanathan Anand for the 6th time.
• Yuki Bhambri won the ITF tennis championship.
• India’s Nano Singh won the title in Boxing in 48kg category held in Kazakhstan.
• Roger Federer won his 14th grandslam title at the Roland Garros equalizing Sampras’s record of most titles.
• India’s Paes and Czech’s Lucas Louis pair won the Doubles title at the French Open. This is Paes’s 9th Grandslam title overall.
• Pakistan won the 2nd ICC Twenty20 World cup defeating Sri Lanka.
• India’s Seina Neval won the championship at Indonesian Super Series Badminton tournament.
• India’s Sushil Kumar won gold in the 66kg freestyle category wrestling at the german grandprix.
• Federer and Serena Williams won the Wimbledon singles title in men’s and women’s category.
• This was Federer’s 15th grand slam title surpassing Pete Sampras’s record.
• Michael Phelps created a new world record in 100mts butterfly category (50.22 sec) at the American Swimming Championship.
• 2011 World cup Cricket trophy was launched in Mumbai.
• India’s Deepika Kumari won title at the World Youth Archery Championship held in the U.S.
• Sania Mirza’s Betrothal held in Hyderabad.
• Bangladesh won its 1st ever test series abroad in West Indies.
• Usain Bolt created a new world record at the World Athletics Championship, Berlin, in the 100mts race by reaching it in 9.58sec. The previous was 9.69sec by the same man.
• In Pole-vault, Russia’s Isinbayeva created a new record of 5.06mts crossing her previous best of 5.05mts.
• India’s Bhupathy and Bahamas’s Mark Novels won the Rogers cup doubles title.
• England won the Ashes defeating Australia 2-1.
• India’s Paes and Czech’s Lucas Louis pair won the Doubles title at the U.S. Open. This is Paes’s 10th Grand slam title overall.
• Indian cricket team became World no.1 in the ODI rating. But they were in this position only for 24 hours.
• Juan Martin and Kim Clisters won the U.S. Open singles title in men’s and women’s category.
• ICC awards were given to the awardees.
• Brazil got the license to host 2016 Olympics.
• Australia won the ICC Champion’s trophy.
• Indian Football won the Nehru cup.
• India defeated Canada by 6-0 in a 7 match hockey tournament.
• Sachin Tendulkar completed 20 years of International Cricket life this month. He made his debut match against Pakistan in 1989.
• Indian Cricket team made its 100th test match win by winning the 2nd test against Sri Lanka.
• Tiger Woods met with an accident in Florida. Later his relations with many women came to limelight.
• Leonel Messi was given Golden ball award for he was selected as Europe’s best football player.
• India’s Virender Sehwag created the record of fastest 250 in tests.
• Indian Cricket Team became the World’s No.1 team for the 1st time in the 77 years of Indian cricket history.
Overall India made progress in all kinds of Sports, say from cricket to badminton.
Like it on Facebook, +1 on Google, Tweet it or share this article on other bookmarking websites.