The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Also,The more we try to keep the students away from using cell phones the more they will be inquisitive. They will think all crooked ways to use it when nobody notice them.

Instead,the school management can lay down some rules and regulations regarding the usage of cellphones. When a student is found to be guilty then they can punish the particular student accordingly and further usage of mobile phones by that particular student can be banned.In this way it can be a lesson to other students too.

According to me,in this world which is full of crime the young generation must own a cell phone to intimate to their parents about their status whenever it is needed.

In the recent Coimbatore incident where two school going children were kidnapped and murdered,if they would have got a cellphone there would have been chances of them getting rescued by police.Unfortunately the little girl was rapped and murdered.
Nagalkakshmi wrote:
[quote]The Children are not mature enough to analyze the pros and cons of using mobile phones.It is parents responsibility to guide them and make them understand.

Many of the children use mobile phones just because his/her friend owns a mobile.

For example, the parents can explain the children about the psychological impacts they may face if the cell phones are used unnecessarily for longer hours etc.[/quote]

It is true that the children are not mature enough to handle a phone, but so is the fact that majority of the parents themselves display enough immaturity on the usage of the phone. Children learn from their parents and not from what they are taught.

Again, regarding the debate on whether the school children should be allowed phones, my opinion is still no.

Most of the schools provide their own buses and where there is no school transport, parents make arrangements to drop and pick up their children from school. In those circumstances, a child does not need to own a phone. If something happens while in the school or a child is ill, it is the responsibility of the teachers to notify their parents.

The example you quoted Nagalakshmi, of the kidnapping and murder, even if the children did possess a phone, the question still remains whether they would have been smart enough to call someone for help without being noticed by the kidnappers! and such incidents are actually one-off.

BUt considering the possibility of such an event ever happening, providing a mobile phone to the children while still in school would cause a much damaging effect on the child physically as well as psychologically.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
[quote]Nagalkakshmi wrote:
[quote]The Children are not mature enough to analyze the pros and cons of using mobile phones.It is parents responsibility to guide them and make them understand.

Many of the children use mobile phones just because his/her friend owns a mobile.

For example, the parents can explain the children about the psychological impacts they may face if the cell phones are used unnecessarily for longer hours etc.[/quote]

It is true that the children are not mature enough to handle a phone, but so is the fact that majority of the parents themselves display enough immaturity on the usage of the phone. Children learn from their parents and not from what they are taught.

Again, regarding the debate on whether the school children should be allowed phones, my opinion is still no.

Most of the schools provide their own buses and where there is no school transport, parents make arrangements to drop and pick up their children from school. In those circumstances, a child does not need to own a phone. If something happens while in the school or a child is ill, it is the responsibility of the teachers to notify their parents.

The example you quoted Nagalakshmi, of the kidnapping and murder, even if the children did possess a phone, the question still remains whether they would have been smart enough to call someone for help without being noticed by the kidnappers! and such incidents are actually one-off.

BUt considering the possibility of such an event ever happening, providing a mobile phone to the children while still in school would cause a much damaging effect on the child physically as well as psychologically.[/quote]

I agree that small children need not be given mobile phones. schools are responsible for their safety. But children from Class VI and above should be allowed use of mobile phones. These children are a little grown up and go to schools even riding bicycles or even mopeds. Absolute ban on phones will deprive them of learning proper use/ etiquette of using mobile phones. The children are allowed to use bicycles even though there are safety hazards on road. similarly, they should be allowed to use mobile phones and learn from experience. A set of dos and don'ts for using mobikles is all that is needed. Also parents may be advised to give to children only cheaper mobiles with voice and text facility only without camera.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Gulshan I appreciate the fact that while you are stressing the point of safety and security while using the mobile. Also the comparison between using a bicycle with a mobile is not really prudent. I say this for the simple reason that while riding a bicycle on the road, even a young child can clearly see any approaching danger and will have enough judgement to steer clear of the approaching vehicle and thus remain safe.

Same cannot be said for a mobile phone. Large-scale researches have proved that the microwave radiation from mobiles is feared to cause cancer, affect blood pressure and cause memory problems. and it is feared that the young children may be the most vulnerable to these effects.

I woulod like to quote Professor Gerald Hyland of the University of Warwick here "It's totally irresponsible for parents to let their children have mobiles. It is the equivalent of giving the child a cyanide pill."

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
[quote]Gulshan I appreciate the fact that while you are stressing the point of safety and security while using the mobile. Also the comparison between using a bicycle with a mobile is not really prudent. I say this for the simple reason that while riding a bicycle on the road, even a young child can clearly see any approaching danger and will have enough judgment to steer clear of the approaching vehicle and thus remain safe.

Same cannot be said for a mobile phone. Large-scale researches have proved that the microwave radiation from mobiles is feared to cause cancer, affect blood pressure and cause memory problems. and it is feared that the young children may be the most vulnerable to these effects.

I would like to quote Professor Gerald Hyland of the University of Warwick here "It's totally irresponsible for parents to let their children have mobiles. It is the equivalent of giving the child a cyanide pill." [/quote]

I appreciate for adding health angle also to the use of phone by children. I agree, as I have done in my earlier post, that mobile phones may be used by children from Class VI onwards only. Despite security and health hazards, mobile phones have to be used at some stage by every one. It appears that teenagers should be allowed to use mobile phones with some precautions and guide lines.

Yes, Health hazards are a very good point to be added because the teenage brains are having a lot of tender proteins.When it is exposed to many radiations frequently it may totally change causing brain related problems in early age itself.

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
Abid Areacode wrote:
[quote]Yes, Health hazards are a very good point to be added because the teenage brains are having a lot of tender proteins.When it is exposed to many radiations frequently it may totally change causing brain related problems in early age itself.[/quote]

The modern gadgets and way of living are accompanied by many health hazards. Still, we cannot live in the way our forefathers did. We may take some precautions only. There has to be a stage when children are given mobile phones. High school stage will be too late and primary classes stage too early. That is why I suggested class VI onwards with some precautions. Parents and teachers can guide students and a code of conduct be made for guidance. The rules about mobile phones will be observed like other rules for school discipline.

Hey friends! All you have done a great job of dealing with this relevant topic by looking at from all possible angles.My point is mobile phone or which initially started being known as cell phone is nothing more than a sign post of our relentless march of progress of science and technology.And looking at the history of discovery and development of any technology or any product,perhaps we can not have a single instance where its uses have been an unmitigated blessing.That's the reason we are here today to discuss one of the most negative uses of mobile phone.

As I have already mentioned these scientific discoveries are all signals and sign posts of progress and development and anyone who would try to go against it would be likened to a man who is trying to stop a speeding car standing in the middle of the road!! When there are uses,surely there would be abuses.I would deal with other aspects later.
Chinmoy,
You are right.As I told earlier when a garland is given to a monkey what will be the state of that garland? That is what happening now.I agree that it is one of the best invention made by mankind so far.But at the same time if it was a cell phone only it was too more useful and was free from the abuses reporting today.

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
chinmoymukherjee wrote:
[quote]Hey friends! All you have done a great job of dealing with this relevant topic by looking at from all possible angles.My point is mobile phone or which initially started being known as cell phone is nothing more than a sign post of our relentless march of progress of science and technology.And looking at the history of discovery and development of any technology or any product,perhaps we can not have a single instance where its uses have been an unmitigated blessing.That's the reason we are here today to discuss one of the most negative uses of mobile phone.

As I have already mentioned these scientific discoveries are all signals and sign posts of progress and development and anyone who would try to go against it would be likened to a man who is trying to stop a speeding car standing in the middle of the road!! When there are uses,surely there would be abuses.I would deal with other aspects later.[/quote]

It is rightly stated that any product is not an unmitigated blessing. It is further correctly stated that going against an invention will be like stopping a speeding car standing in the middle of road. Thus, it can be safely concluded that mobile phones have to be used. Children have to be trained in use of gadgets as this is part of process of making them responsible future citizens. But some precautions should be observed and rules framed for safe and proper use of phones by children. Hence, I suggested in an earlier post that children studying in Class VI and above alone be allowed use of mobile phones with suitable guidelines and code of conduct. Children have even otherwise to abide by school discipline. Rules about use of mobile phones are also part of discipline and should be accordingly enforced.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.