Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
MG Singh wrote:
jusrambabu wrote:

May be rare. But death penalty should be replaced by Reformations as Kiran Bedi done in Tihar Jail.

Kiran bedi herself justified death for Nirbhaya killer rapists. There can be no reforms for such persons

Absolutely! One cannot expect such people will reform if given another chance..

Referring a few cases where reformatory measures failed will not undermine the importance of  Reformative measures. The entire world is turning towards Reformatory measures scrapping Death sentence.

For psychologically twisted who use gruesome and unimaginable methods of torturing another human being, there can be no reforms. They must be put to death. Sadly enough, our esteemed presidents have been granting pardons to the most cruel and evil killers in the last 15 years!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I feel that rather than have death sentence one should have life imprisonment which is till death not 14 years or 20 years which is what they have now. The person should be given severe life sentence and made to repent his/her actions each day of their life.Death is an easy way out for many of these hard core elements whereas being locked up for life while others are out there enjoying life is far more difficult to cope with.That's what I feel...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Life sentence in lieu of death sentence is there. By the time the courts declde and implement, the prisoner  must have spent in the prison more than the life sentence.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

For psychologically twisted who use gruesome and unimaginable methods of torturing another human being, there can be no reforms. They must be put to death. Sadly enough, our esteemed presidents have been granting pardons to the most cruel and evil killers in the last 15 years!

This misplaced mercy is a hangup of the Hindu character of toleremce. Our twin Pakistan has executed over 150 men on death row in last 2 months. Killers and rapists who take sadist pleasure like Nirbhaya killers deserve no reprieve, yet our SC has given a stay. So sad

rambabu wrote:
Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:

Capital punishment is barbaric and many western countries have abolished this. There is nothing peculiar about Hindus. The ancient Hindu law provided for capital punishment.  Presently, the purpose of law is reform and not revenge as in ancient days. Hence extreme penalty of death sentence is limited to 'rarest of the rare' cases. 

True sir. Instead of capital punishment, there should Reformatory measures to be taken. A criminal will never remain as a criminal forever. He should be given a chance.

What reformation can you do for a group who gang rape and insert metal rods in private parts? Like in Nirbhaya case. I am afraid its easy to opine sitting in an armchair. I carried out a study of condemned prisoners in Faizabad diustrict jail while undergoing CMP course an not one deserved to live, yet SC has given stay. Sad

MG Singh wrote:
rambabu wrote:
Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:

Capital punishment is barbaric and many western countries have abolished this. There is nothing peculiar about Hindus. The ancient Hindu law provided for capital punishment.  Presently, the purpose of law is reform and not revenge as in ancient days. Hence extreme penalty of death sentence is limited to 'rarest of the rare' cases. 

True sir. Instead of capital punishment, there should Reformatory measures to be taken. A criminal will never remain as a criminal forever. He should be given a chance.

What reformation can you do for a group who gang rape and insert metal rods in private parts? Like in Nirbhaya case. I am afraid its easy to opine sitting in an armchair. I carried out a study of condemned prisoners in Faizabad diustrict jail while undergoing CMP course an not one deserved to live, yet SC has given stay. Sad

If SC has stayed, it's the lapse in the judiciary. When an ordinary soul like Vinoba Bhave could reform the deadly Chambal valley dacoits, and brought back to the mainstream of the society, why not reformatory measures?Even in my state AP the police department even today, are succeeding in bringing back many extremists in to the mainstream. 

One thing we all should know that if effective rehabilitation programmes are taken up by the law enforcing authorities, I don't see why Reformatory measures should fail.

@Ram Babu. I respect your opinion, but  a study of dacoits, some of who were from good families is different Some dacoits donated money and built temples. Man Singh the famous dacoit helped the poor and there is a temple dedicated to him.  Sadist killers and rapists like Nirbhyav are different. You can't equate with movement of JP and Vinobha.

MG Singh wrote:

@Ram Babu. I respect your opinion, but  a study of dacoits, some of who were from good families is different Some dacoits donated money and built temples. Man Singh the famous dacoit helped the poor and there is a temple dedicated to him.  Sadist killers and rapists like Nirbhyav are different. You can't equate with movement of JP and Vinobha.

I do agree. My intention is not to generalize the issue. Both kinds are existing in the society.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.