Martial Law is a severe form of government and means that the present system of justice is superseded  Punishments like flogging is introduced and all cases are heard within 90 days. Martial law has been successful for limited periods. An example is general Ataturk in Turkey. The modernisation of Turkey was because of him. Martial law is also imposed in Thailand after successive civilian governments got mired in corruption. 

martial law is not the ideal solution, but it cleanses the system.In India martial law can be imposed by the President if he feels internal emergency is required. Opinons please?

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Martial law is not the only  way to instill discipline. Martial law, at the most can serve the purpose for a temporary period. The alternative is strict implementation of the existing laws..

We had an emergency here when every act of dictatorship was  practiced - I feel that although martial law has its advantages in making the indisciplined  masses toe the line , who is to do that ? I cannot see any of our politician capable of really carrying out or taking such a daring step ! Martial law by the army too would be a short term measure..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
usha manohar wrote:

We had an emergency here when every act of dictatorship was  practiced - I feel that although martial law has its advantages in making the indisciplined  masses toe the line , who is to do that ? I cannot see any of our politician capable of really carrying out or taking such a daring step ! Martial law by the army too would be a short term measure..

Also who is to ensure that the army will not misuse its additional power? Already we are seeing large number of instances where army officers have beaten up innocent civilians for a very silly reason, there are cases of rapes on hapless women by armymen etc. Army now is not what it used to be, for whatever reasons, but I do not think implementing martial law is any solution.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

usha manohar wrote:

Yes, martial law is never in perpetuity. It is like surgery say for 5-7 years. But it does bring a nation back on rails. History supports it. But the men who are scared of martial law are politicians, many of who would be jailed or even executed.

@ Usha. emergency was not martial law. This law i.e martial law means supercession of legal system and replacement by military law.

Suppression is not the way to establish good governance in a democratic set up like India.

I am in favor of Martial Law for a term of at least five years. maybe by then people of this country will know the value of discipline and learn about civic sense.  The politicians must also learn the lessons on how to act within rules of democracy. The current behavior of calling each other names is the only act they are involved in. 

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Also who is to ensure that the army will not misuse its additional power? Already we are seeing large number of instances where army officers have beaten up innocent civilians for a very silly reason, there are cases of rapes on hapless women by armymen etc. Army now is not what it used to be, for whatever reasons, but I do not think implementing martial law is any solution.

There is no ideal solution. One has to choose lesser evil, but martial law is a success at most places for short period.

May be for a short term. Not for five years especially in a democratic country. Please let me know if there are democratic  countries elsewhere where Martial Law is imposed for longer periods. I'm afraid Martial law will be counter productive if imposed for a prolonged period.

rambabu wrote:

May be for a short term. Not for five years especially in a democratic country. Please let me know if there are democratic  countries elsewhere where Martial Law is imposed for longer periods. I'm afraid Martial law will be counter productive if imposed for a prolonged period.

Martial law is like surgery. It is for a short period, but not less than 5 years only then it will have an effect. Martial law is not imposed only in western democracies, where people are responsible. But even now in USA the Patriot act is passed curtailing rights and giving sweeping powers to police and FBI for detention and arrest.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.