Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
suni51 wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

You are saying something else altogether now, anyway please be accurate when you post and dont say things about which you have no first hand knowledge since it is highly confusing and not the first time such a thing has happened either !

Let me interrupt at this point, first no librarian would want to say or purchase pirated version neither librarians are authorized to place orders for libraries. But as for these two books I bought and read I got them from a local vendor who sells all kind of banned books including... you know what I mean. The one was Lajja in Hindi and the other was Satanic Verses.  

That's what I thought as well...Most circulating libraries including government libraries buy new books from proper shops.However, private libraries may buy some books that are pirated if the readers have no objection.. If I paid money to read I would definitely kick up a fuss if there spelling mistakes, a few pages turned upside down etc , which is what happens in most of the pirated copies . And the said library to have all the listed 8 books in pirated copies is beyond my imagination !open_mouth.png

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:
suni51 wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

You are saying something else altogether now, anyway please be accurate when you post and dont say things about which you have no first hand knowledge since it is highly confusing and not the first time such a thing has happened either !

Let me interrupt at this point, first no librarian would want to say or purchase pirated version neither librarians are authorized to place orders for libraries. But as for these two books I bought and read I got them from a local vendor who sells all kind of banned books including... you know what I mean. The one was Lajja in Hindi and the other was Satanic Verses.  

That's what I thought as well...Most circulating libraries including government libraries buy new books from proper shops.However, private libraries may buy some books that are pirated if the readers have no objection.. If I paid money to read I would definitely kick up a fuss if there spelling mistakes, a few pages turned upside down etc , which is what happens in most of the pirated copies . And the said library to have all the listed 8 books in pirated copies is beyond my imagination !open_mouth.png

I actually used to buy pirated books way way back when I could not afford proper books, but that was the time when I had no knowledge whatsoever of intellectual property rights, copyrights and so on. Later on when I came to know about the pirated books and the economy behind it, the losses to original authors, I stopped buying them and simply joined a library. Now, I can buy books as many times as I like so no need for me to look for banned copies. But believe me when I say that pirated books business is a roaring trade but I cannot comment on whether they include the banned books, but after reading your thread, I will certainly look in on a couple of bookstalls I pass by every day. They sell mostly pirated books, I will try to find out if they sell these ones.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I have read and bought a few pirated books since the  1970's. Ahmedabad was supposed to be a big centre for printing pirated books. These days one can get latest books in pirated manner on e-mail in digital form. I got two books one on former PM and another on Sachin Tendulkar, sent by contacts who got them. It is foolish to ban books these days as they are available on websites easily.

Pirated Book Business is doing a booming Business since long. Even in the state owned Libraries are replete with Pirated Books. One easily find out if a Book is pirated or not. Like Ahmedabad , Hyderabad is also known for Pirated Books

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
suni51 wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

I actually used to buy pirated books way way back when I could not afford proper books, but that was the time when I had no knowledge whatsoever of intellectual property rights, copyrights and so on. Later on when I came to know about the pirated books and the economy behind it, the losses to original authors, I stopped buying them and simply joined a library. Now, I can buy books as many times as I like so no need for me to look for banned copies. But believe me when I say that pirated books business is a roaring trade but I cannot comment on whether they include the banned books, but after reading your thread, I will certainly look in on a couple of bookstalls I pass by every day. They sell mostly pirated books, I will try to find out if they sell these ones.

Pirated books have always been there and I am sure all book lovers know of it and I too have and even now buy novels since they are so much cheaper..Of course there is the legal copy right issue ! But here I was wondering whether people would pay money to a librarian to read pirated copies as claimed by Rambabu ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:
anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Yes. When I was in Hyderabad, I bought Satanic verses in the old market behind Charminar, known as Chandni Chowk. Since then , after I became a member in a library in Vizag, I stopped buying Books. Even there I found many of Jeffrey Archer's books loaded with spelling mistakes, clearly saying that they are Pirated Books.

I think with pirated books we can get an idea what the author wants to say.

Anil, most of the pirated books are made by people who know what sells and they make copies of fast selling books and sell them for a cheaper rate and many people buy it since it is much cheaper than the original prints.However, they will not bother with books that are banned or books with heavy subjects attracting fewer readers , since noone knows about them and there is no demand for it...

All is right but what can be do if we wants to read banned books. I think Pirated books are  only solution. 

Chidambaram , former Finance minister has now said that banning Satanic Verses by the Congress government was a mistake - too late , since since then intolerance began to be a way of life in India. Thankfully he has admitted what everyone knew ! Banning has never helped and in India we have had too many books banned from time to time. I remember , when Da Vinci Code was released the Christian community was up in the arms since the book was quite controversial questioning the very foundation of their faith but no Christian country banned it ..

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
anil wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Yes. When I was in Hyderabad, I bought Satanic verses in the old market behind Charminar, known as Chandni Chowk. Since then , after I became a member in a library in Vizag, I stopped buying Books. Even there I found many of Jeffrey Archer's books loaded with spelling mistakes, clearly saying that they are Pirated Books.

I think with pirated books we can get an idea what the author wants to say.

Anil, most of the pirated books are made by people who know what sells and they make copies of fast selling books and sell them for a cheaper rate and many people buy it since it is much cheaper than the original prints.However, they will not bother with books that are banned or books with heavy subjects attracting fewer readers , since noone knows about them and there is no demand for it...

All is right but what can be do if we wants to read banned books. I think Pirated books are  only solution. 

I'm a Book lover. Even though I know that some of the Books in the Library are pirated,I read them. Some thing is better than nothing.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.