Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
jabeen wrote:

I have faced lots of natural calamity in the form of earthquake. Northeast India is an earthquake vulnerable zone and we very often have it. We usually run out of the house and stay out till the shaking subsides. Earlier earthquakes didn't much terrify us as we are used to it but the earthquake which took place on 4th jan 2016 really scared all of us. It took place early in the morning around 4:30am, when most of the people were in bed. The intensity of the earthquake was 6.7 Richter scale which was quite terrifying. I think it shook for longer duration than before too. It literally destroyed Imphal as lots of buildings were damaged in that earthquake. A few people were also killed and left many people with bad memories. Many people are more terrified of earthquakes after that incident

Oh my god Jabeen! That is so scary and so glad to know that you and family is safe, although its quite late to be writing that. But the truth is that we just give an occasional glance at news stories such as this one and the magnitude of that calamity hits us harder only when it is nearer our own homes. I hope such earthquakes are not happening frequently now.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

usha manohar wrote:

Nature can be terrifying. Once a couple of years ago we decided to drive up the western ghats and spend time on the Kumaradhara river bank that flows through the mountains and is very scenic . It was early June and we knew that Monsoons were about to begin. When we started it was warm and clear. We parked the car and carried all the stuff that we had taken to have a picnic on the river bank which was about half km away and we had to climb down a steep hill. We spent some time , had lunch and suddenly it started clouding over and started pouring and we had never seen anything like it because the river waters started rising and began to swell up in a matter of minutes . We had to run for our lives carrying all the stuff and climb up the slippery hill side since by then they had become muddy with water flowing down from all the crevices ...It was a very scary experience never to be forgotten.

Wow! You were really very lucky that day to have escaped those flash floods. Every year, we read so many stories of unlucky ones being washed away with sudden spurts in river or stream waters. It must have been such a scary experience.

Although I myself have never been in a major incidents but only yesterday I realised how much magnitude the loss of people who are caught in such tragic incidents really is. Usha I guess you have read about Sipna - A man-made Jungle, they have a video and a page on FB. Yesterday, I spent the whole day there at Sipna with my son and  a few of his classmates and their mums. This place was created by late Mr. Pramod Nargolkar, an engineer by profession but a passionate nature lover. His wife, who now takes care of this place, told us yesterday that Mr. Pramod Nargolkar and 3 of his similarly passionate nature lover friends were invited by the governor of Andaman & Nicobar islands in 2004 to study the natural habits and lifestyle of turtles that visit the islands every year to lay eggs. Although their accommodation was facilitated elsewhere in proper guesthouse, they chose to stay on the beach in a tent to facilitate night time and early morning observation of the turtles. Unfortunately, the very next morning they were all washed away by the Tsunami waves. They probably caught the very first lashes of the tsunami. It is so sad to know about the loss of such invaluable people.

Thank you said by: usha manohar
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Nature can be terrifying. Once a couple of years ago we decided to drive up the western ghats and spend time on the Kumaradhara river bank that flows through the mountains and is very scenic . It was early June and we knew that Monsoons were about to begin. When we started it was warm and clear. We parked the car and carried all the stuff that we had taken to have a picnic on the river bank which was about half km away and we had to climb down a steep hill. We spent some time , had lunch and suddenly it started clouding over and started pouring and we had never seen anything like it because the river waters started rising and began to swell up in a matter of minutes . We had to run for our lives carrying all the stuff and climb up the slippery hill side since by then they had become muddy with water flowing down from all the crevices ...It was a very scary experience never to be forgotten.

Wow! You were really very lucky that day to have escaped those flash floods. Every year, we read so many stories of unlucky ones being washed away with sudden spurts in river or stream waters. It must have been such a scary experience.

Although I myself have never been in a major incidents but only yesterday I realised how much magnitude the loss of people who are caught in such tragic incidents really is. Usha I guess you have read about Sipna - A man-made Jungle, they have a video and a page on FB. Yesterday, I spent the whole day there at Sipna with my son and  a few of his classmates and their mums. This place was created by late Mr. Pramod Nargolkar, an engineer by profession but a passionate nature lover. His wife, who now takes care of this place, told us yesterday that Mr. Pramod Nargolkar and 3 of his similarly passionate nature lover friends were invited by the governor of Andaman & Nicobar islands in 2004 to study the natural habits and lifestyle of turtles that visit the islands every year to lay eggs. Although their accommodation was facilitated elsewhere in proper guesthouse, they chose to stay on the beach in a tent to facilitate night time and early morning observation of the turtles. Unfortunately, the very next morning they were all washed away by the Tsunami waves. They probably caught the very first lashes of the tsunami. It is so sad to know about the loss of such invaluable people.

Thats horrible Kalyani , how very sad ! Yes I have been reading about Sipna on Facebook but never knew about the tragedy related to it. I am sure you all had a great experience visiting it. There is another similar effort made by someone in Kodagu ( Coorg) which is also laudable. It is so very inspiring to read about such people. We are planning to visit this place during summer .

https://www.thebetterindia.com/16294/couple-man-made-wildlife-sanctuary-hosts-animals-like-bengal-tigers/

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Thats horrible Kalyani , how very sad ! Yes I have been reading about Sipna on Facebook but never knew about the tragedy related to it. I am sure you all had a great experience visiting it. There is another similar effort made by someone in Kodagu ( Coorg) which is also laudable. It is so very inspiring to read about such people. We are planning to visit this place during summer .

https://www.thebetterindia.com/16294/couple-man-made-wildlife-sanctuary-hosts-animals-like-bengal-tigers/

Yes Usha I have read about the Malhotras too! They are indeed doing a great job for the nature. There are so many people actually who try to conserve and preserve our environment, by working hard and tirelessly but you hear of them only once in a while. But with increased use of social media, we are able to learn more and more about such awesome people. Do visit them as soon as you can and share us your experience.

Humans, despite many achievements, yet to find a way to control or stop the Natural disasters

Some time back there was earth quake in Nepal. during that period Agra also had its share of natural calamity.  I also like others left the office building on that occasion First I understood nothing. I  could not work on computer and felt head ache on even touching the keys. I saw others leaving building and I followed them. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Oh... You had personal experience of Natural calamity. It clearly says, Natural Calamities cannot be stopped, despite manya achievements  by the humans.

Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:

Some time back there was earth quake in Nepal. during that period Agra also had its share of natural calamity.  I also like others left the office building on that occasion First I understood nothing. I  could not work on computer and felt head ache on even touching the keys. I saw others leaving building and I followed them. 

In the past month we see natural calamity aided by years and decades of human negligence taking place in Mumbai. Apparently even today rains are lashing the city and it is flooded everywhere .

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Natural calamity is now @usha has also started reading articles!!!wink2

usha manohar wrote:
Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:

In the past month we see natural calamity aided by years and decades of human negligence taking place in Mumbai. Apparently even today rains are lashing the city and it is flooded everywhere .

Yes Usha, for the last two days again it has been raining incessantly, the city is flooded once again, local trains are all running late or getting cancelled, many express trains between Pune -Mumbai, Nashik - Mumbai have been cancelled. All because the city is already bursting at seams and still, thousands of new people are entering the city and causing tremendous burden on its infrastructure.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.