Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I am fortunate enough that I have done every thing that is possible to do in the list. That is very nice experience to stay in TN right from Chennai to Ooty and from Kanyakumari to Coimbatore. I have seen all districts and have eaten on banana leaf and have enjoyed an elephant, boat ride etc.

"have eaten on banana leaf and have enjoyed an elephant, boat ride etc.
"
all these things belong to Keralites too :P

It's really nice to take tiffin in banana leaf, while going to school or office. Cooked rice with curries give a pleasant smell. :woohoo: :woohoo:

In AP and Karnataka also banana leaf is consider to be good for serving food on it. Nice information on TN. I have visited chennai only so don't have must knowledge on culture of TN.

In Maharashtra too, we have special meals on Banana leaves!!! Some dishes are especially steamed by wrapping them up in banana leaves, they are very delicious and yummy with a unique fragrance from the leaves.

karimeen pollichathu :cheer: :cheer:
Pearl fish wrapped in banana leaf and steamed.....a typical Kottayam dish :cheer:

If you wrap gram flour paste (properly spiced) in banana leaves and steam it until properly backed and then cut it in to small pieces you can fry these as crispy pakouras or use these for making a good vegetable preparation with proper gravy.

That is not banana flour but a different kind of leaf called Colacasia, it is very popular and famous in Mangalore and we call the dish Pathrode...I have the leaves growing in my garden

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 9511]}[/quote]

There are so many dishes that are common to in Karnataka and Maharashtra, I just mentioned it in my post above, we call it 'aluchya wadya' and the gram flour mix is spicy, sour and slightly sweet as we add jaggery and tamarind pulp to it.

http://www.google.co.in/imgres?hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1143&bih=702&tbm=isch&tbnid=UjU3Lve-YkDx5M:&imgrefurl=http://madteaparty.wordpress.com/2007/05/10/patodealu-wadi-taro-leaf-spirals/&docid=VKo_pkocKd8JzM&imgurl=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/226/491322201_1052d9a836.jpg&w=500&h=375&ei=mRLLUNixC8nMrQfO04GQCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=159&vpy=127&dur=650&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=157&ty=101&sig=110204780349358155217&page=1&tbnh=140&tbnw=178&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:88

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I am fortunate enough that I have done every thing that is possible to do in the list. That is very nice experience to stay in TN right from Chennai to Ooty and from Kanyakumari to Coimbatore. I have seen all districts and have eaten on banana leaf and have enjoyed an elephant, boat ride etc.

"

It's really nice to take tiffin in banana leaf, while going to school or office. Cooked rice with curries give a pleasant smell. :woohoo: :woohoo:

In AP and Karnataka also banana leaf is consider to be good for serving food on it. Nice information on TN. I have visited chennai only so don't have must knowledge on culture of TN.

In Maharashtra too, we have special meals on Banana leaves!!! Some dishes are especially steamed by wrapping them up in banana leaves, they are very delicious and yummy with a unique fragrance from the leaves.

Pearl fish wrapped in banana leaf and steamed.....a typical Kottayam dish :cheer:

If you wrap gram flour paste (properly spiced) in banana leaves and steam it until properly backed and then cut it in to small pieces you can fry these as crispy pakouras or use these for making a good vegetable preparation with proper gravy.

That is not banana flour but a different kind of leaf called Colacasia, it is very popular and famous in Mangalore and we call the dish Pathrode...I have the leaves growing in my garden

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 9511]}

There are so many dishes that are common to in Karnataka and Maharashtra, I just mentioned it in my post above, we call it 'aluchya wadya' and the gram flour mix is spicy, sour and slightly sweet as we add jaggery and tamarind pulp to it.

http://www.google.co.in/imgres?hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1143&bih=702&tbm=isch&tbnid=UjU3Lve-YkDx5M:&imgrefurl=http://madteaparty.wordpress.com/2007/05/10/patodealu-wadi-taro-leaf-spirals/&docid=VKo_pkocKd8JzM&imgurl=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/226/491322201_1052d9a836.jpg&w=500&h=375&ei=mRLLUNixC8nMrQfO04GQCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=159&vpy=127&dur=650&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=157&ty=101&sig=110204780349358155217&page=1&tbnh=140&tbnw=178&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:88[/quote]

Yes Kalyani, I think there are many similar dishes are prepared all through the Konkan coast and Pathrode is very popular with Saraswaths in Mangalore

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

"

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 9511]}[/quote]

No that is not banana flour but gram flour and yes you can use
arvi (colocasia esculenta) root. Other names for this tuber are dasheen, kalo (in Hawaiian), eddo and taro.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

"

No that is not banana flour but gram flour and yes you can use
arvi (colocasia esculenta) root. Other names for this tuber are dasheen, kalo (in Hawaiian), eddo and taro.[/quote]

Pongal festival is coming soon. We will be having a lot of Bull taming events in and around Madurai which is located at Tamilnadu.

Born to express, not to impress.
http://royalrobsideas.blogspot.in/

"

http://www.google.co.in/imgres?hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1143&bih=702&tbm=isch&tbnid=UjU3Lve-YkDx5M:&imgrefurl=http://madteaparty.wordpress.com/2007/05/10/patodealu-wadi-taro-leaf-spirals/&docid=VKo_pkocKd8JzM&imgurl=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/226/491322201_1052d9a836.jpg&w=500&h=375&ei=mRLLUNixC8nMrQfO04GQCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=159&vpy=127&dur=650&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=157&ty=101&sig=110204780349358155217&page=1&tbnh=140&tbnw=178&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:88[/quote]

we use its stem to make special theeyal...
coconut will be fried with shallots and curry leaves. then fry it well adding chilli powder and coriander powder. grind it well. then cook colacasia stem (cut into pieces), with shallots and this gravy.
if you want, you can add a little garam masala too.....
if you wish, you can add tomatoes too

colcassia's tuber is used in Sambar to make its gravy thick

Meera sandhu
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.