Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I am fortunate enough that I have done every thing that is possible to do in the list. That is very nice experience to stay in TN right from Chennai to Ooty and from Kanyakumari to Coimbatore. I have seen all districts and have eaten on banana leaf and have enjoyed an elephant, boat ride etc.

"have eaten on banana leaf and have enjoyed an elephant, boat ride etc.
"
all these things belong to Keralites too :P

It's really nice to take tiffin in banana leaf, while going to school or office. Cooked rice with curries give a pleasant smell. :woohoo: :woohoo:

In AP and Karnataka also banana leaf is consider to be good for serving food on it. Nice information on TN. I have visited chennai only so don't have must knowledge on culture of TN.[/quote]

In Maharashtra too, we have special meals on Banana leaves!!! Some dishes are especially steamed by wrapping them up in banana leaves, they are very delicious and yummy with a unique fragrance from the leaves.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Rajani K
I am fortunate enough that I have done every thing that is possible to do in the list. That is very nice experience to stay in TN right from Chennai to Ooty and from Kanyakumari to Coimbatore. I have seen all districts and have eaten on banana leaf and have enjoyed an elephant, boat ride etc.

"

It's really nice to take tiffin in banana leaf, while going to school or office. Cooked rice with curries give a pleasant smell. :woohoo: :woohoo:

In AP and Karnataka also banana leaf is consider to be good for serving food on it. Nice information on TN. I have visited chennai only so don't have must knowledge on culture of TN.

In Maharashtra too, we have special meals on Banana leaves!!! Some dishes are especially steamed by wrapping them up in banana leaves, they are very delicious and yummy with a unique fragrance from the leaves.[/quote]

karimeen pollichathu :cheer: :cheer:
Pearl fish wrapped in banana leaf and steamed.....a typical Kottayam dish :cheer:

Meera sandhu
In the list of 50's in tamil nadu i am not able to find one point

that is

"worship one tamil hero in a tamil hero temple"

Swetha Shenoy

that is

hero or heroine? :dry:
I think temples are there for heroines only :S

Meera sandhu

that is

hero or heroine? :dry:
I think temples are there for heroines only :S

Yes, I have heard of temples to heroine like Khushbu but not for any heros, are there such temples in TN?

"

In AP and Karnataka also banana leaf is consider to be good for serving food on it. Nice information on TN. I have visited chennai only so don't have must knowledge on culture of TN.

In Maharashtra too, we have special meals on Banana leaves!!! Some dishes are especially steamed by wrapping them up in banana leaves, they are very delicious and yummy with a unique fragrance from the leaves.[/quote]

Wow!!! that's new information for me. Then I think all over Indian Banana leaves have some significance. What are the dishes that you wrap in it.

"

In Maharashtra too, we have special meals on Banana leaves!!! Some dishes are especially steamed by wrapping them up in banana leaves, they are very delicious and yummy with a unique fragrance from the leaves.

Pearl fish wrapped in banana leaf and steamed.....a typical Kottayam dish :cheer:[/quote]

If you wrap gram flour paste (properly spiced) in banana leaves and steam it until properly backed and then cut it in to small pieces you can fry these as crispy pakouras or use these for making a good vegetable preparation with proper gravy.
pathrodeleaves.jpg (You do not have access to download this file.)

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

"

Wow!!! that's new information for me. Then I think all over Indian Banana leaves have some significance. What are the dishes that you wrap in it.[/quote]

Traditional, festive meals are served on banana leaves, see link http://www.dinodia.com/ImageBigView.asp?ImageID=80545 for such a photo.

There are some dishes made from rice that are made wrapped in banana leaves, but the main one is "Ukdiche modak" prepared as the main Naivedya on Ganesh Chaturthi. It is steamed rice flour dish in which stuffing is made of fresh coconut, jaggery, poppy seeds and dry fruits, the modak are steamed on banana leaves.

http://www.google.co.in/imgres?start=115&hl=en&sa=X&tbo=d&biw=1143&bih=702&tbm=isch&tbnid=89xD5Z-vUgh8nM:&imgrefurl=http://www.compulsivefoodie.com/2012/09/17/guest-post-modak-or-sweet-dumpling/&docid=dGdLoRy9pL2GxM&imgurl=http://www.compulsivefoodie.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/IMG_2542-600x448.jpg&w=600&h=448&ei=aRHLUIe3MI6GrAeo_IDIBQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=155&vpy=395&dur=1203&hovh=194&hovw=260&tx=183&ty=110&sig=110204780349358155217&page=5&tbnh=137&tbnw=179&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:22,s:100,i:70

Thank you said by: Rajani K

"

Pearl fish wrapped in banana leaf and steamed.....a typical Kottayam dish :cheer:

If you wrap gram flour paste (properly spiced) in banana leaves and steam it until properly backed and then cut it in to small pieces you can fry these as crispy pakouras or use these for making a good vegetable preparation with proper gravy.[/quote]

That is not banana flour but a different kind of leaf called Colacasia, it is very popular and famous in Mangalore and we call the dish Pathrode...I have the leaves growing in my garden

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 9511]}

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

"

If you wrap gram flour paste (properly spiced) in banana leaves and steam it until properly backed and then cut it in to small pieces you can fry these as crispy pakouras or use these for making a good vegetable preparation with proper gravy.[/quote]

We prepare a similar savory called Aluchya wadya by using colocasia leaves.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.